Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my MR points?

tag
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

What to do with my MR points?

I currently have had the Zync for 11 months. Next month according to the CSR I can PC it to a different charge card which then coverts my points to full MR. I accumulated 10,000 and don't know how to spend them? Seems too little for an airline ticket.... Hmm
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do with my MR points?

9000 Avios will get you a round-trip ticket in coach under 650 miles when redeemed on AA.

10k MR points isn't much...

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

9000 Avios will get you a round-trip ticket in coach under 650 miles when redeemed on AA.

So domestic flights under 650 miles are only 9k MR points round trip?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Yes they are, as long as you transfer them into BA's program and then redeem on AA as a partner redemption. Both are in OneWorld.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 4 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Yes they are, as long as you transfer them into BA's program and then redeem on AA as a partner redemption. Both are in OneWorld.

Sweet! I think I just found a good use for my MR points.

I found a calculator here, but it looks to only show 1 way travel.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/avios-calculator/public/en_gb#CalculatePod

I have a bit over 100k MR points, I guess that would buy a bunch of short flights. 

Can you think of a better way to use them?

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I have a bit over 100k MR points, I guess that would buy a bunch of short flights. 

Short and medium haul flights are generally the best value for Avios, with a few exceptions (such as upgrades to business using Avios from a paid world traveller plus ticket). With short-haul flights often going for $200-300, you're getting quite a bit of value out of those MR points.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Amex occasionally runs transfer bonuses to BA. If you transfer during a 30-50% bonus, you'll get even more value out of MR.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 6 of 14
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the help. Might do that or gift cards.
Message 7 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Short and medium haul flights are generally the best value for Avios, with a few exceptions (such as upgrades to business using Avios from a paid world traveller plus ticket). With short-haul flights often going for $200-300, you're getting quite a bit of value out of those MR points.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Amex occasionally runs transfer bonuses to BA. If you transfer during a 30-50% bonus, you'll get even more value out of MR.

Doesn't look like they fly between SFO and SEA :/ That is my most frequent short flight

Message 8 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Lambo23 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Might do that or gift cards.

Gift cards are usually one of the worst values. Try to get some kind of use with their partners. Maybe a hotel partner would benefit you

Message 9 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Doesn't look like they fly between SFO and SEA :/ That is my most frequent short flight

If you're based in SFO then it's a lot harder since you're reliant on AA (whose closest hub is in LA). I'm sure they have flights from LAX-SEA, but flying from SFO-LAX-SEA seems a bit self-defeating.

Northern California is pretty much United country.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.