Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my MR points?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do with my MR points?

If you're based in SFO then it's a lot harder since you're reliant on AA (whose closest hub is in LA). I'm sure they have flights from LAX-SEA, but flying from SFO-LAX-SEA seems a bit self-defeating.

Northern California is pretty much United country.

You also in northern CA? Is that why you have the United card?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

If you're based in SFO then it's a lot harder since you're reliant on AA (whose closest hub is in LA). I'm sure they have flights from LAX-SEA, but flying from SFO-LAX-SEA seems a bit self-defeating.

Northern California is pretty much United country.

You also in northern CA? Is that why you have the United card?

I have 2 homes, so the answer is sort-of.

My original home is in Northern California and I spend about 1-2 months per year there. My second home is in Australia, where I spend the other 10-11 months of the year.

The heat gets really bad around the holidays since we're in the southern hemisphere, so we spend a month or two travelling and seeing family back in the US during those months. Neither of us like hot weather that much.

I have the United card for 2 main reasons:

1. SFO is my main US airport and therefore UA is my airline by default. UA being in *A also has good availability/partners for those flying to the Asia-Pacific region.

2. The United Club card has no forex fees (in addition to offering a high earning rate and lounge access). Given how much time I spend outside the US, a no-forex card is essential.

QF and VA have awful loyalty programs so I don't bother with any of the Aussie-issued cards.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Lambo23 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Might do that or gift cards.

Gift cards are usually one of the worst values. Try to get some kind of use with their partners. Maybe a hotel partner would benefit you

Hotel transfers are generally not a good idea with MR.  The transfer rates are not very good.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Lambo23 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Might do that or gift cards.

Gift cards are usually one of the worst values. Try to get some kind of use with their partners. Maybe a hotel partner would benefit you

Hotel transfers are generally not a good idea with MR.  The transfer rates are not very good.

I agree, but they may yield better results that gift cards.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.