Valued Contributor
Dustink

Re: What to do with my MR points?

If you're based in SFO then it's a lot harder since you're reliant on AA (whose closest hub is in LA). I'm sure they have flights from LAX-SEA, but flying from SFO-LAX-SEA seems a bit self-defeating.

Northern California is pretty much United country.

You also in northern CA? Is that why you have the United card?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

[ Edited ]

Dustink wrote:

If you're based in SFO then it's a lot harder since you're reliant on AA (whose closest hub is in LA). I'm sure they have flights from LAX-SEA, but flying from SFO-LAX-SEA seems a bit self-defeating.

Northern California is pretty much United country.

You also in northern CA? Is that why you have the United card?

I have 2 homes, so the answer is sort-of.

My original home is in Northern California and I spend about 1-2 months per year there. My second home is in Australia, where I spend the other 10-11 months of the year.

The heat gets really bad around the holidays since we're in the southern hemisphere, so we spend a month or two travelling and seeing family back in the US during those months. Neither of us like hot weather that much.

I have the United card for 2 main reasons:

1. SFO is my main US airport and therefore UA is my airline by default. UA being in *A also has good availability/partners for those flying to the Asia-Pacific region.

2. The United Club card has no forex fees (in addition to offering a high earning rate and lounge access). Given how much time I spend outside the US, a no-forex card is essential.

QF and VA have awful loyalty programs so I don't bother with any of the Aussie-issued cards.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Senior Contributor
Walt_K

Dustink wrote:

Lambo23 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Might do that or gift cards.

Gift cards are usually one of the worst values. Try to get some kind of use with their partners. Maybe a hotel partner would benefit you

Hotel transfers are generally not a good idea with MR.  The transfer rates are not very good.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Dustink

[ Edited ]

Walt_K wrote:

Dustink wrote:

Lambo23 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Might do that or gift cards.

Gift cards are usually one of the worst values. Try to get some kind of use with their partners. Maybe a hotel partner would benefit you

Hotel transfers are generally not a good idea with MR.  The transfer rates are not very good.

I agree, but they may yield better results that gift cards.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+