Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do?

tag
movingonup23
Valued Member

What to do?

My wife and I are hopefully moving into our new house at the beginning of March.  After we move in, we will be spending $3-4k on furniture and some DIY repairs.  I want your opinons/advice on a credit card to use to spend that money.

I currently have a chase sapphire (5k limit), boa travel rewards (3k limit), AMEX Delta (15k limit) and BCE (5.1k) limit and Barclay Arrival (5K limit, hoping for auto luv tomorrow when the 6th statement cuts).  I don't carry a balance on any card.  I will need to carry a balance for no more than a year, so I was looking to get a card with a 0% promotion for 12 months.

My barclay arrival is the platinum mastercard (reconned initial limit to $5k but still stuck with platinum and it is the annual fee version).  If I applied for the World Mastercard Arrival and was approved would I be able to transfer my rewards to that card and transfer the limit?  Would I be eligible for the signup bonus?  If yes on both of those, I think that is what I would want since I have 50k points already built up and that card has 0% for 12 months.

If that is not possible, what is the next best card?  Signup bonus is a plus, flexible rewards helps too.  If the Chase Hyatt and 0% interest I would be all over it!  My fico scores are 718 TU (mortgage pull from this month), 735 TU (barclay arrival fico from 12/17/13).  Equifax is 708 (pulled on myfico in December 13), and Experian should be close.  2 charge off/collections that were settled, one was amex (guess is wasn't blacklisted) and one was citibank, both from 2008.  AAoA is 5.4 years.  Flawless repayment on student loans and auto loan (opened in 2012). 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What to do?

@movingonup23 wrote:

My wife and I are hopefully moving into our new house at the beginning of March.  After we move in, we will be spending $3-4k on furniture and some DIY repairs.  I want your opinons/advice on a credit card to use to spend that money.

I currently have a chase sapphire (5k limit), boa travel rewards (3k limit), AMEX Delta (15k limit) and BCE (5.1k) limit and Barclay Arrival (5K limit, hoping for auto luv tomorrow when the 6th statement cuts).  I don't carry a balance on any card.  I will need to carry a balance for no more than a year, so I was looking to get a card with a 0% promotion for 12 months.

My barclay arrival is the platinum mastercard (reconned initial limit to $5k but still stuck with platinum and it is the annual fee version).  If I applied for the World Mastercard Arrival and was approved would I be able to transfer my rewards to that card and transfer the limit?  Would I be eligible for the signup bonus?  If yes on both of those, I think that is what I would want since I have 50k points already built up and that card has 0% for 12 months.

If that is not possible, what is the next best card?  Signup bonus is a plus, flexible rewards helps too.  If the Chase Hyatt and 0% interest I would be all over it!  My fico scores are 718 TU (mortgage pull from this month), 735 TU (barclay arrival fico from 12/17/13).  Equifax is 708 (pulled on myfico in December 13), and Experian should be close.  2 charge off/collections that were settled, one was amex (guess is wasn't blacklisted) and one was citibank, both from 2008.  AAoA is 5.4 years.  Flawless repayment on student loans and auto loan (opened in 2012). 

Duck or Beaver Card would be a great choice!

Message 2 of 6
movingonup23
Valued Member

I just looked at those and being a Georgia boy, I don't think I could put that in my wallet! lol 

Message 3 of 6
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@movingonup23 wrote:

I just looked at those and being a Georgia boy, I don't think I could put that in my wallet! lol 

LOL...  But if the APR and Credit Limit fit your needs then who cares what it looks like Smiley Happy

You can always wrap it in a small piece of paper with your school logo or something Smiley Wink

Remember when your ATM and Credit cards came with the little Tyvek paper sleeves?  I actually miss those little sleeves.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 4 of 6
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

@movingonup23 wrote:

I thought the same thing until they approved me for $20K at 0%.  That yellow O can grow on ya!!

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 5 of 6
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Citi cards (Diamond Preferred, Dividend) tend to have long 0% offers when you first open the card.  They're easy to get approved but lack any great sign-up bonus.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.