Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to pay off first?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to pay off first?

@Creditaddict wrote:

but isn't it after 75% just always considered 100% util for scoring? you need to get below 50% I think before you start getting better.

I've read different opinions about what percentage is considered "maxed out" but I wouldn't think 75% would be looked at such.

But I could be wrong.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 11 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

+1

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find my score to be affected by the number of

accounts I have balances on.  2 accts seem to be ok but

if I go to 3 my score will go down.  I have 5 open accts.

the utilization on EQ  for high achievers went from 9%

to 7%. 

EX 782

EQ 802 

Message 13 of 16
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Paying them off in the order of highest interest rate will cost you the least and get you there sooner.    

Message 14 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I disagree with you partially, you need to consider something called minimum interest. This can range from 50 cents to 5 dollars.

Snow ball method is faster because on next month you have less account to worry about. You have more money to focus on higher debt.

Message 15 of 16
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I disagree with you partially, you need to consider something called minimum interest. This can range from 50 cents to 5 dollars.

Snow ball method is faster because on next month you have less account to worry about. You have more money to focus on higher debt.

Whenever minimum interest kicks in on small balances, it will likely become the highest interest rate for that month, and should be paid off.

Another factor which I think is more important, is to pay off the cards you are using first.   If you put new charges on cards that carry a balance, you are paying interest from date of purchase.    If you put charges on a card you PIF each month, then no interest is charged for that purchase.   I think that is more important that interest rate or snowball method.  

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.