Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What travel card is this?

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

What travel card is this?

So here's my ideal travel card.. what's the closest I can get? 

- Great bonus miles on sign-up

-Annual free miles on anniversary

-10% or more back on redeemed miles, PLUS new miles earned at normal rate

-5x Miles earned on airfaire, hotel, and travel expenses (hey, I said ideal.. I think Penfed has a 5x back on airfare card)

Also, who has the CITI AA card? It has 50k bonus with 3k spend, and anniversary miles. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: What travel card is this?

The death knell appears when you want 5x miles for airfare, hotel and travel expenses. And the annual miles.

If you find a card earning 5x miles, it most likely has a devalued miles value.

You forgot to say whether you mind an AF. Those can range from $95 to $450 and are a wet blanket on your 5x miles plans, sorry to say.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 14
Bman70
Established Contributor

Yeah annual fee is expected.. 5x I know was pushing that's why I said what's the closest. 3x? 2x seems average. 

Edit: Penfed does give 5x on airfare alone.. but it's not that attractive otherwise. 

https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the Citi AA card which is my first card with thrm.  I think it's going g to be a keeper.  Gave me $16,500 CL and then bumped it to $25K a couple days after activation.  I definitely will use this one moreso than the Barclays card.

Which Penfed card are you talking about?  The AMEX?

Message 4 of 14
biglista88
Regular Contributor

I was just approved for the Barclay's Arrival card which has no annual fee +20,000 miles sign up bonus , 2x miles on travel and dining and 1x Miles for everything else. With a wonderful 10% return of ANY miles redeemed. 

Example 10,000 miles redeemed for 100$ travel statement credit would net you the 100$+1,000 miles returned. 

If you wanted, you could opt for the Arrival+ card which has all the same perks plus 40,000 miles sign up bonus + 2x miles on all purchases. The only caveat being this card comes with an 89$ annual fee (waived for the first year, so technically you could reap all the benefits for the sign up and first year of 2x miles them cancel or downgrade).

Good luck 

REBUILD STARTED (AGAIN) 9/1/2023

Current Scores 4/4/24

“Breathing new life into a dead credit file”
Message 5 of 14
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got the Citi AA card which is my first card with thrm.  I think it's going g to be a keeper.  Gave me $16,500 CL and then bumped it to $25K a couple days after activation.  I definitely will use this one moreso than the Barclays card.

Yeah the Amex: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

That's what I mean, I want a keeper travel card, and so many just seem to be churner cards or cancel before fee cards. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 6 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

An important aspect of the Travel Cards is, knowing where those "miles" accumulate. With the Arrival+, and Venture, the "miles" gather only on that card and you only use them for credit on travel. When buying airline tickets, you will also earn miles directly in the airline frequent flyer program, but Venture, Arrival+ and several others, will not be able to transfer in to combine with those FF miles.

So it is important to also decide if you will be using one airline only, and that can influence the miles realized.

Even the Citi Prestige does not transfer directly to AA miles, but due to the redemption bonus, 1.6 value, it works out well enough.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 14
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the AA approval! Question--how do the purchases you make on that card add to your elite-qualifiying miles for AA? I been reviewing Delta, AA and United to see which one if any of those would make good candidates for trying to obtain elite status. It's all very confusing to stupid me. The AA one was easier to understand that Delta, which made my head swim. Although considering United, it really would not be that useful since most of the places I travel do not have a strong United presence except for SFO. I do not live in an area with a dominant airline. So I am most often selecting an airline based on fare and if I want to fly non-stop etc. 

Any answers greatly appreciated!

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best travel cards are probably the Freedom + CSP combo. They can be used to essentially remove the airfare cost from travel.

I don't recommend cards used for a specific airline or hotel (despite having two myself). They're too restrictive.

Message 9 of 14
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The best travel cards are probably the Freedom + CSP combo. They can be used to essentially remove the airfare cost from travel.

I don't recommend cards used for a specific airline or hotel (despite having two myself). They're too restrictive.

But the Freedom/CSP probably requires a higher annual spend than I want to make. My main goal is WHEN I travel (which is probably 1 or 2x per year airfare wise), to recoup some nice points and miles on those trips. I already get good cash rewards on my daily expenses, so I don't want to move daily spend to a travel card. I just want to put travel on it at highest return. 

Travel for me is vacation only: Mexico, Hawaii, Europe, lots of stateside shorter trips - Natl Parks, State Parks etc. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.