cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of credit CC would you develop if able?

tag
travisr0
Contributor

What type of credit CC would you develop if able?

A lot of good cards out there and over the years and the rewards have gotten before because of competition. If you worked at a bank or one of these leading companies and you were part of a working group tasked to develop the "Next Generation Card" what would you do to it in terms of design, name, benefits, and technology.

My Idea of a new card if I was able to develop one is Card Benefits: One a member, you are able to log on to their website to choose out of 5 possible categories. You may either choose 1 category for 8% cash back, or 2 categories at 4% cash back or points and 1% on everything else. If you change categories must wait for that current bill cycle to finish. If you spend over 1000 a month you will get 10% cash back or points on your 1 category or 5% back on your two categories. You would have the ability to also choose redemption method:

This could be cash back, or a points system that may be redeemed for hotel, flight, or dining. No black out dates, no expiration dates, and no limit to the amount that can be saved as long as card is in good standing. Analytics show that a lot of card users the more experienced users use specific cards for specific purchases to maximize rewards now a days so this would give the flexibility to really maximize the categories. Also will be rewarded I the sense of spending more on the card as a added incentive.

Experian 756 // Equifax 764 // Transunion 759 // AAoA 5.7 years

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: What type of credit CC would you develop if able?

A card where you don't have to worry about the lender raising your APR, slapping late fees and reporting a late payment to a credit bureau if you pay late because of a glitch or unusual delay in their payment system combined with an ability to have 5% cashback all year round on whatever category fits your needs upon approval with a 6-7k cap annually and depending on whether you shop online or go to a particular restaurant, you can earn up to 8-9% cashback there too.

I'd also add the ability to convert your cash to hotel and airline miles so really my idea would be a combination of what's already out there but streamlined and more consumer friendly. I'd even include the ability to finance certain products with the card too a la Paypal Credit style so I'd aim to make this card a jack of all trades in one. As an incentive to keep the card in case someone decides to close it after the first year, no fee 0 APR 12-18 month BTs would be offered and extra cashback too offered for retention. I think of it as combining the old Cash Plus with other cards like Amex BCP and Discover and Freedom too. For good measure, the APR would range from 8.99-18.99 depending on your credit profile. 

I like your idea a lot too.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would do a little old school mixed with new school.

I would develope card levels like "Aspire" did 1-4 so you can help subprime but work with them so they don't have to dump you when they rebuild but can build into better classes with your company.

I would allow a consumer to pick the credit report they want pulled and would offer SP pre-qual with a limit range.

I would be clear what type of credit score was used and would allow cardmember to see that score monthly

Rewards probably a flat 2% with annual bonus of some sorts.

I would want to try to be a forever card, not a fad or rotating card

Message 3 of 4
noobody
Established Contributor

let's be real, 2% with no AF is as far as bank can go for all the benefits you mention, how about 500AF and 100K min spending? no grace period with 19.99 int? banks are in this business to make money, not charity

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.