cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of protection to expect from Discover for missing package?

tag
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

What type of protection to expect from Discover for missing package?

So, I ordered something that was delivered to the neighbor. with signature confirmation. And surprise, surprise, the neighbor doesn't have it. So, opened investigation with the shipping company and still discussing with the neighbor as to where to find the package.

Now as a last resort, I might have to turn to discover - the card I used. What type of protection can I expect from them? Any limits?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What type of protection to expect from Discover for missing package?

Unfortunately, the answer may be "very little," depending on the specific T&C on your account.

I know from experience that Amex excludes damage or loss/theft "while under the care and control of a common carrier (i.e., UPS or FedEx)," as well as outright loss, as in, I/We lost it.  The claims process requires documentation of damage or theft, but once you've cleared the hurdles they do seem to settle up as promised.  Not sure what documentation Discover might require in your case, whether a police report or statement from the neighbor or what.

Since the package was allegedly delivered, I'm not sure the "common carrier" will be liable to cover it anymore, but it might be worth looking into - getting a copy of the signature and date/exact time of delivery, etc.  If it turns out to have been their delivery guy who messed up, they might have to cover you.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.