cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What unsecured credit cards should I apply for with eight months of credit history ?

tag
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

What unsecured credit cards should I apply for with eight months of credit history ?

I have a CapitalOne secured card with a $2,500 Credit Limit.

I have a thin credit history of just eight months.

My monthly use is about 10%.

No collections or late payments or BK's. No Debts

My Fico scores were purchased direct from: 

Experian = 775

Transunion = 741

Equifax = 725

I would like to get  a few unsecured  credit cards, cash back or rewards would be nice.

Should I wait till I have a full year history before I start to apply ? 

I only have one hard inquiry so I thought I could take a few shots.

I have received half a dozen Pre-Approvals from Discover and American Express Blue Sky.

If you get turned down does it hurt your chances for future acceptance.

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What unsecured credit cards should I apply for with eight months of credit history ?

@Mustangfrank wrote:

I have a CapitalOne secured card with a $2,500 Credit Limit.

I have a thin credit history of just eight months.

My monthly use is about 10%.

No collections or late payments or BK's. No Debts

My Fico scores were purchased direct from: 

Experian = 775

Transunion = 741

Equifax = 725

I would like to get  a few unsecured  credit cards, cash back or rewards would be nice.

Should I wait till I have a full year history before I start to apply ? 

I only have one hard inquiry so I thought I could take a few shots.

I have received half a dozen Pre-Approvals from Discover and American Express Blue Sky.

If you get turned down does it hurt your chances for future acceptance.

I woul do the Discover for sure... I would do Amex also, probably not Sky unless that works for you!

Citi comes to mind also, because I have seen many people get them with little history and get very large lines!

Message 2 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What unsecured credit cards should I apply for with eight months of credit history ?

Amex zync; possibly blue; discover... Those three will do well. Keep your secured card open for now. You're doing great!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the input

I have only one hard inquiry so I will take a few shots.

I will definately Apply for The Discover Card and report back.

I am new at this as years ago I just had the one Amex Gold Card.

I have been using Debit cards for a long time.

I was on the Apple Computer Online Store and noticed that Barklays offers a Visa credit card with iTunes rewards.

I would like to buy the new iPhone and iPad so I think I will give that a shot as well.

I am a little hesitant to apply to American Express as 20 years ago I had defaulted on a Gold card for a few thousand dollars.

I read on these boards where they have a Black List and I am not sure I want to poke the sleeping bear.

9/11/12 Experian = 775    9/11/12 Transunion = 741    9/11/12 Equifax = 725

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 4 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Mustangfrank wrote:

Thanks for the input

I was on the Apple Computer Online Store and noticed that Barklays offers a Visa credit card with iTunes rewards.

I would like to buy the new iPhone and iPad so I think I will give that a shot as well.

I am a little hesitant to apply to American Express as 20 years ago I had defaulted on a Gold card for a few thousand dollars.

I read on these boards where they have a Black List and I am not sure I want to poke the sleeping bear.

Pre-approvals don't guarantee that you're going to be approved. It only means that you're opted in with the credit bureaus and have met some minimum marketing criteria.

The likelihood is that you could get an Amex. I had an Amex in the 80s that was CO, but it was a small amount. I was able to get Amex again this year.

The problem is that your history is only 8 mos old right now.

I'd say you have a pretty good shot with Barclay's. But one thing to keep in mind is that they don't like to see a lot of new inq or CCs opening within 6 mos of getting a CC w/them. Some people are okay. Knock on wood, I have been. But still, they have been known to take AA if they see too much new activity with high util.

It's great that you have a clean CR, but it's still difficult to get a prime CC with a thin cr file and short history. That is one way that Amex could help you out a lot. If they backdate your new CC, it could add those 20 yrs back into your cr file. it's a big unknown though, if they'd approve you. Your best bet is to app for the Zync, which is one of their easiest approvals. Since the SOL is long past, you wouldn't need to worry about them coming after you for that.

If you get approved for Zync, you can app for an Amex revolver on the same day with the same HP (so only 1 inq total) usually. I got Zync and then went to Costco and apped for their Amex Costco and was approved later the same day. BCE is also a good one for rewards w/o an AF.

I'd probably give Zync a try first and then go for a revolver the same day if you're approved. Then I'd go for Barclay's Apple, since they're pretty lenient with shorter histories and you want the Apple products. That will give you a really good selection to garden for a while. With your Amex backdated reporting, you'll be in great shape to get anything you want in a couple of months.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

bichonmom

Thanks so much for the guidance !!

You have been very helpful.

I was kind of flying blind here.

Thanks to all the good people on this board I have been able to go from

absolutely no credit to the scores I now have in 8 short months.

I will take your advice and apply for the Zync and if accepted i will  apply for the revolver on the same day. 

So you recommend I try the Costco Amex ? Any other Amex revolvers I might have a shot at ?

I will update as I go.

Started with absolutely no credit scores  in January 2012  

Now

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 6 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Mustangfrank wrote:

Thanks for the input

I was on the Apple Computer Online Store and noticed that Barclays offers a Visa credit card with iTunes rewards.

The barclays iTunes card just gives you rewards that you can use on iTunes (basically iTunes gift cards). Barclays also offers an apple financing visacard, with 0% Financing for 6 months on smaller purchases and 0% for 12 months on larger ones (I don't remember the actual purchase thresholds though, sorry). the APR after those financing deals is pretty high though. Just thought I would inform you about their other option Smiley Very Happy 

Edit: it's 0% 6 months under $999 and 0% 12 months over $999. Although if you don't PIF within the 0% period all your interest ends up getting backdated and stuff, like every 0% financing offer haha. 

Message 7 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

UPDATE ! APPROVED !

I applied for the Zync and was instantly approved. Yeah !!

I am no longer a ghost !!

Now I got over confident and figured I would give the Blue Cash a shot and got this message.

Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash EverydaySM from American Express. Your application has been received and will be processed as soon as possible and we will notify you of the decision by mail within 14 days. 
Thank you for applying.

I am off to Costco to try for the Costco Amex True Earnings.

Stay Tuned.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 8 of 21
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats on getting approved for the Zync and best wishes for the Costco

Message 9 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Update

The good news:

I applied for the Amex Zync and was instantly approved with no restrictions.

The Bad news is I then tried for the Amex Blue Cash online and was rejected. (I know, I know.... over zealous)

I then went to Costco Retail Store and was rejected as well do to duplication of applications.

I should have stuck to the script and went right to Costco and applied for their True Earnings Amex Card.

I am pretty sure I would have gotten approved if I followed the instructions the helpful people on this site recomended.

So learn from my mistakes.

I am hoping I will not get 3 Hard Pull Inquiries.

I am calling American Express now to see if I can keep it to one (1) HP

Eight (8) Months of excellent credit history.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.