cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What unsecured credit cards should I apply for with eight months of credit history ?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: What unsecured credit cards should I apply for with eight months of credit history ?

3 card apps = 3 hard pulls.  there is no way around it.

Congrats on the Zync!   I have thought about this card many times, but don't really need it.

I would wait until you get a few months on your Zync and at least a year on your secured card before trying for more cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: What unsecured credit cards should I apply for with eight months of credit history ?

@DaveSignal wrote:

3 card apps = 3 hard pulls.  there is no way around it.

Congrats on the Zync!   I have thought about this card many times, but don't really need it.

I would wait until you get a few months on your Zync and at least a year on your secured card before trying for more cards.

I thought amex gave you a SP if you were denied once you were already a cardholder? 

Message 12 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

oh, sorry.  then 2 hard pulls, 1 for amex and 1 for costco

EDIT: or maybe you are right and it is only 1 pull.  Check your credit report.  I don't have amex so I shouldn't have really commented here.  sorry.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 13 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

I only had one hard pull on record and thought maybe Amex would only hit me with one additional HP.
I am calling them now to see how they will handle this.
Worst case scenario is I will have 4 HP's in 9 months.

I can just drop back and Punt for Now.

and the Amex Rep said on the phone I had a shot at the Cosco card.
I will keep my fingers crossed.
Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 14 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the Amex Zync! It's a foot  in the door, and all future Amex w/be backdated which is great for your AAoA.

Sorry about the BCE. It is a harder card to get. Their revolvers in general are harder to qualify for than charges, since with charges you PIF each month.

I can't say if you would or would not have been approved for Costco. But after you've been denied one Amex, you can't app for another one for 60 days, I believe it is. (Or maybe 30? not sure.) In any case, the Costco app would have been voided. And the BCE should not be a HP because #1, it's the same day as your Zync app and #2, it's a denial (which is always a SP once you already have an Amex acct.)

Use your Zync (but don't charge up too much initially) and in January, maybe try for Costco or BCE. I'd actually base the decision on which one has the rewards you like best. At that point, you'll have 4 mos history w/them and over 1 year on your CR. I do think you have a good chance at Costco at that point. Also w/Amex, if it's denied it's a SP. It's only a HP if you get approved.

If you still want Apple products, then I think you stand a good chance w/Barclay's. As someone else mentioned the Apple card gives you 0% financing offers on apple products, so that's a good way to go. Also, with Barclay's you can call the recon # (backdoor sticky) and ask for a higher CLI (or recon if denied) and usually get it.

Then I'd garden your Cap One, Zync and Barclay's (if approved).

Also, re the inq: Amex would be on EX and Barclay's will be on TU. So, at least you're spreading your HPs out so the impact isn't so great.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 15 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Called American Express and the customer rep said I would only be charged for 1 Hard Pull Inquirie today.

I Applied for Zync and was approved immediately. ( That is secured and verified)

Then the plan was to go to costco and do an in store Application for their True earnings Amex card.

But before stepping away from the computer I took a shot at the Amex BCE card as I had been pre Approved.

Well that gave me the "You will be Notified in 14 days" reply.

So off to Costco and when I applied they put me on with the Amex Rep who was really nice and said that there was a duplication

of Applications and they would get back to me in 4 days (Not 14 days).

The woman from Amex did not think the Costco Amex card would be a problem.

So I will let the community know how I make out.

I am surprised I was approved for the Zync card with only 8 months of good credit history.

So the plan now is to go back to the Garden and do some weeding.

9/11/12 Experian = 775    9/11/12 Transunion = 741    9/11/12 Equifax = 725

Secured CapitalOne card with $2100 Credit Limit since January 2012 

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 16 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

When you get your letter about BCE denial, it will let you know what you need to rectify to be approved. So, that will help with your credit plan.

Fingers crossed for Costco. Usually, once denied any future apps that day are automatically voided. But maybe the rep on the phone was able to put it through for you.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 17 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

bichonmom

I am happy with the Zync for now.

I actually was not even going to Apply until I took your advice.

I think if i just did the Costco Amex without the BCE I would have probably been approved for it.

I am going to use the Zync wisely and consider in 4 to 6 months doing a Back Date.

I am a bit nervous about the Back Dating as I had a Charge Off from twenty years ago.

Thanks to everyone in the community for helping me on my journey back from the land of ghosts. 

My goal is to have a few top of the line cards that I will use wisely to continue to build my credit.

9/11/12 Experian = 775    9/11/12 Transunion = 741    9/11/12 Equifax = 725

Eight (8) Months of excellent credit history with CapitalOne Secured Platinum $2100 CL

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 18 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

bichonmom

Thanks again !

You have been so helpful with your knowledge and generous with your expertise.

I will try one more Application for the Barklay's Apple Card and hopefully I will get the new iPhone that was just announced.

I then will fall back to the Garden and build a proper fence and prepare for next Spring.

9/11/12 Experian = 775    9/11/12 Transunion = 741    9/11/12 Equifax = 725

Eight (8) Months of excellent credit history with CapitalOne Secured Platinum $2100 CL 1/20/2012

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 19 of 21
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

UpDate

It appears that Discover has a Portal into the Apple Store that gets you 5% of Apple Store Products.

Barklays Apple Finance card does not deliver the same discounts.

See this review

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/apple-credit-card/

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.