Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your 1st credit card?

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What was your 1st credit card?

My first CC was a Visa from a local credit union when I was 18 years old.  I had had an account with them for several years, because that's where I would deposit my earning from delivering newspapers.  They also serviced my guaranteed student loans.  $1000 credit limit, which seemed like all the money in the world.  Student CCs weren't being offered too much back then, so I was one of only a handful that had a card of his/her own.

Message 21 of 110
spartanspirit
Contributor

mine was when i was 18. a GTE visa with a 300 limit i only got cuz i was going to the national democratic convention in LA with my mom. i thought i was rollin' with my 300 limit!!!!. i listened to my mom and paid before the due date and paid more than the minimum and within 9 months, went from 300 to 1200. then, i went to college and screwed that up and many years later its now a 3000 (paid) judgment on my reports. Smiley Sad

Message 22 of 110
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I applied for a Citibank MC on college campus back in 1998 for some free stuff (t-shirt or candy bar), and they gave me a credit limit of $500-800 which eventually became 2100.  I had no real job - maybe pulled in $20-50 a week.  My interest rate was around 6.75% so I kept a balance while I kept paying down all my cards, and in 2009, they pulled the "we'll raise your rate to 19-22% (don't remember specifically) unless you opt out and let the account close" so I sadly let it close.  I get credit card offers from them weekly, it seems.  I liked Citi until they pulled the rate hike, so I'm not sure whether or not I'll do business with them in the future.

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 110
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

My first CC was through my CU (School's First Federal Credit Union), and I got it in 2005.  My starting limit was $2,500, and it is now $3,900.  I've only received one CLI from them over the years because they always do a hard inquiry for the request, so I tend not to ask for them.  Interestingly though, when I did get the first CLI, they created a separate TL on my credit reports for the new CL of $3,900.  I never disputed this, and I am glad I didn't because both TLs are still showing as open on my CRs and the opening dates are both from 2005.  Furthermore, at one point I converted this CC to the "Gold" version and a third TL for this same card was placed on my CRs, again dated back to 2005.  It makes me wonder if I ask for another CLI if they'll put a fourth TL for this CC on my reports with the new limit.  My AAoA is only 3 years so this might help quite a bit, even with the hard inquiry.

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Message 24 of 110
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

1966 - BankAmeriCard - $500 limit. 

I was drafted shortly after receiving the card.  I used to wonder if applying for credit somehow put me on their radar . . . . Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Message 25 of 110
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first CC was BoA secured visa student card wtih a CL of $300. This was opened in Sep 2006. At present it has been upgraded to Visa SignatureSmiley Sad with a CL of $5000.

Message 26 of 110
minimock
Frequent Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

1966 - BankAmeriCard - $500 limit. 

I was drafted shortly after receiving the card.  I used to wonder if applying for credit somehow put me on their radar . . . . Smiley Very Happy

Im young again LOL thank you very much....

Message 27 of 110
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

1988, a USAA MC or VISA (can't remember which, but it was one of the two.)  $2,500 limit.  That was a lot of money back then, no?

And I don't remember applying for it.  In fact, I'm sure I didn't - they just sent it to me.  Did they do that back then?  I had just graduated from college - this must have been the trigger.  To be honest, I didn't really understand what a credit card was.  I knew it was something good, but I thought, "What does the $2,500 represent?"  Smiley Happy

Not applicable

my first card was a Macy's store card with a 100$ limit... Smiley Happy Still have it!

Message 29 of 110
Anonymous
Not applicable

cap1 cash rewards MC with a $300 limit. i got it in 7/11 this year(21 years old). now i learned cap1 is a bit stingy with CLI so im getiing a BoA secured visa with a $1500 limit.

i wish i knew about credit and scores when i was still i college. if i used a card responsibly for the last 2 years, id have pretty good credit, limits, and good cards. oh well. in a year or two ill be happy.

Message 30 of 110
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.