cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

tag
Shane1
New Contributor

Re: What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

Finding out I have a JCPenney credit card that I opened 12 years ago but didn't remember having. It was open but inactive, so I called them for a replacement, which they did without a problem, saving my oldest card by three years.

Aside from the CLD I got from HSBC in February, it was a good year. Three new cards (including one with my highest limit ever) and an auto loan. I also found out that anybody can join a credit union, regardless of what affiliation they have.

Most shocking credit moment of 2009: pulling my EQ FICO and seeing it at 803. After 7 years with a dozen or so derogatory accounts, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't that.

Message 11 of 79
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

US Bank extending me $27,000 in new credit. 
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 12 of 79
score_building
Senior Contributor

first, citicard RJ to 29.99% without default or misdeed :smileyindifferent:

the next month, approved for my largest starting CL from nationwide bank!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 13 of 79
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

My biggest shocker was also the 29.99% RJ from citi. I was at 7.24% variable, and thankfully I was able to opt-out of their RJ and pay down my 14k at a decent rate.

Second would be getting an automatic CLI from Capital One after years of being at the same credit line of 7,500, which they told me was the "Maximum credit limit for my card type" they raised it to 9,500

lastly, I received a RJ notice from Chase to go from 6.25% up to 15.99% but---heres the real shocker---they never increased my interest rate. It was supposed to take effect in October...I called customer care and the representative advised me they decided not to raise my interest, afterall! What are the chances of that!?! especially with all of the CLDs, account closures, etc from them recently....

Message 14 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple new unsecured cc with my highest CL @ 10k & my lowest @ 5k.  All a direct result of the valuable info. found @ myFICO.  I was reckless in my youth and now I've come into my own, simply said.....matured! 
Message 15 of 79
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

WFNNB removing ALL my lates (including the 90) without even blinking, finally getting me out of the major derog bucket.

And along with BungalowMo, qualifying for Navy FCU, as the daughter of an Army officer who passed away in 1980 and certainly never belonged to anything Navy-related.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine would fall under "new credit card that I never wanted, didn't think I'd ever be approved for, but got under duress, and has turned out to be a good deal" LOL!

After a really boring first three quarters of '09, the big shocker for me was getting the Costco True Earnings Amex card. The one company that I was absolutely certain that I'd never-ever-not in million years do business with was American Express. It's no exaggeration, either-- I didn't ever see myself as an Amex customer, and frankly figured that they'd laugh heartily if I ever applied. One Costco trip disaster lead to another, and I found myself an Amex customer. And {{shockers!}} I'm finding that I like it. This card is rapidly becoming a favorite, and I'm finding that the overall experience is nothing of the horror that I'd imagined it would be.

Never say never, I suppose.

Message 17 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two shockers from me. One negative, Chase not honoring the low-rate transfer checks they invited me to use as a "preferred" and "valuable" customer (they actually slashed all of my limits with them and then declined the check). The other positive, Discover discontinuing their requirement for three CC purchase transactions to keep the 0% intro going (so come February I will overpay to kill the purchase APR and have a card with a 0% APR balance). I would like to give my former Chase spending to Discover, but don't want to screw up the 0%.
Message 18 of 79
demo18c
Contributor

AMEX upgraded my card to platinum....nice for travel and events

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 79
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Chase - Citi - BofA

The grand triumvirate of customer disregard. What they did separately and collectively to their account holders in 2009 was totally appalling. (I'm so glad I avoided the tag in each case!)

Message 20 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.