cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

USAA & USAA

Pre-approved for a USAA AmEx, I took the plunge and got an instant $25k. 

Thought about it for a day or two and decided a MasterCard would be better so I went back thinking I'd try apping for their MasterCard and then when they decline do a recon to split my current AmEx limit with a new MasterCard. 

Instant approval for another $25k.

Called to make sure their system wasn't brain-dead.  They said, "No, sir.  We really do value your business that much."

The stain in my drawers still lingers.

Message 21 of 79
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Very very nice!
Message 22 of 79
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Realizing that my open lines of credit exceed my annual income by 30% and not one AA or CLD.  In fact, I still get CLI's whenever I ask.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 79
DI
Super Contributor

Great posts!
Message 24 of 79
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Instant Approval for a GEMB Brooks Brothers card.  Even though I have very high income, etc, this is my first instant approval in 6 years!  Curiously, I later applied for a CLI and was declined due to "past or present delinquencies".  I don't know why companies use this wording--there are no present deliquencies and never will be again! 

Nonetheless, the instant approval has marked a turnaround for me entering the new decade!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 79
marty56
Super Contributor

No AA or CLD as well.  RBFCU NC, Newegg card, Furniture Row (HSBC) card which I didnt use.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 26 of 79
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Being approved for a unsecured HSBC card (not much but its a start).  Paying off American Express and receiving my Optima card in the mail on 12/30!!

My first shocker of 2010...that same HSBC card has been RJed after only 2 months. 

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

My shocker was that I got no AAs from anybody.  Not even from AMEX.  A couple of RJs but I PIF so I don't care about them.   I actually got about 9 CLIs last year.

I do not revolve.   And this year my new years resolution is to not show a revolving balance on ANY of my accounts through the entire year.   The means I'll be paying my bills on the biz day before the statement cuts or sooner.

My total debt showing on my credit reports across all accounts and all types of credit is ZERO!   Yay! 

edit: spelling 

Message Edited by PhillyGuy215 on 01-03-2010 01:02 PM
Message 28 of 79
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

I got a "Discover More" card. I always wanted a Discover card for some reason.
Message 29 of 79
DI
Super Contributor

@theNavigator wrote:
I got a "Discover More" card. I always wanted a Discover card for some reason.

I'm glad they took me back.  I wasn't an idle customer years 6 year ago.

Message 30 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.