cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

tag
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Chase - Citi - BofA

The grand triumvirate of customer disregard. What they did separately and collectively to their account holders in 2009 was totally appalling. (I'm so glad I avoided the tag in each case!)

I avoided the Chase fiasco (so far, knock on wood) but got hit with the BofA shenanigans.  Interestingly enough, I had carried a small (~$600) balance on the bofa and paid it off 3 months prior to getting absolutely slashed, but still carrying a balance on my chase card.  I thought BofA was supposed to be good to their customers, thats the only reason I got the card.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 79
VEEVEE
Regular Contributor

My shocker was being approved for a Macy's credit card after being blacklisted.
Message 32 of 79
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

I'm shocked that I bought a house and a car, closed 2 credit card accounts and opened 3 others and myfico score only dropped 40 points down from 800. The icing on the cake was the 15k Nationwide card and my 401k bouncing back. Despite all the talk about how bad economy is, 2009 was a good year for me.
Message 33 of 79
Carly

My biggest shocker--BAR NONE--is the exorbitant rate increases on my Citi Rewards card.  I've had the card for about six years and with an excellent rate of 5.99%.  I have a high balance on the card but always make my payments on time and am under my limit.  I received the "We-No-Longer-Want-You-So-We're-Going-To-Force-You-To-Leave" letter telling that that effecting January 30, 2010 my APR is going from 5.99% to...29.99%!!!  Needless to say...this card will be canceled within the next two weeks.  Citi's promise to credit back 80% of finance charges means NOTHING to me as there is no way I can afford $770/month credit cards payments.  I think it's absurd that they're pushing me out the door when I'm their dream customer--one with a large balance who makes payments on time!

"Teach your children while they're young--have them save at least half of all monetary gifts/earning so they can learn to appreciate the value of fiscal responsibility."
Message 34 of 79
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

@Hairy_Satchel wrote:
I'm shocked that I bought a house and a car, closed 2 credit card accounts and opened 3 others and myfico score only dropped 40 points down from 800. The icing on the cake was the 15k Nationwide card and my 401k bouncing back. Despite all the talk about how bad the economy is, 2009 was a good year for me.

My bad. Only a 10 point drop. But I did fire Case and HSBC for rate jacking me.

Message 35 of 79
MattH
Senior Contributor

That nearly every credit card company has raised interest rates on me and my wife, solid long-term customers with long and clean histories.  Fortunately for us the only interest we paid in 2009 was on a fixed-rate mortgage (not counting about fifty cents interest when I mistakenly paid a little less than the full balance on one credit card bill, fortunately not the one where a small finance charge would get rounded up to a dollar).

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 36 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

My biggest shocker was most of my credit cards, which I have had for over a decade without problems have all raised their rates to 29.99%, except the CU. NO lates, even though they state they are..I keep proving not lates and they write off late fees but still keep 29% interest and reducing my cl?   My FICO was in the 800's until last yr got behind on house payments until home finally sold after 4 yrs on the market and 50% price drop! I made a whopping $6.42 on a house that was appraised in 2007 at 1.2 mill.  Now all cl are dropping as I make large payments on them to get them paid off.  started with Citi, had cl of 6500, as I pay down, it drops each month with the payment. BS! What can I do?

Message 37 of 79
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

VEEVEE wrote:
 My shocker was being approved for a Macy's credit card after being blacklisted.

Along those same lines, being approved for Discover after being blacklisted. Still have the letter too after 10 yrs.
Message 38 of 79
pltc

My 2009 credit card shocker was receiving two notices from two different credit unions informing me they were changing my credit card interested rate from a fixed rate to a variable rate. I cancelled / closed the one with a balance. I am paying off the existing balance. Based on the FICO notification service I purchase from this site my FICO score went up to the mid 700’s a month after I closed the account.

Message 39 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

My biggest credit card shocker was when i repaid my auto loan fully and i my credit score dropped by 50 points. Since i had just 4 installments left in a 36 months plan and i could afford to pay the last 4 installments in total, i went ahead and paid the outstanding amount and to my surprise my credit score dropped. Did i make a mistake of clearing my loan?
Message 40 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.