New Contributor
Shane1

Re: What was your 2009 Credit Card Shocker?

Finding out I have a JCPenney credit card that I opened 12 years ago but didn't remember having. It was open but inactive, so I called them for a replacement, which they did without a problem, saving my oldest card by three years.

Aside from the CLD I got from HSBC in February, it was a good year. Three new cards (including one with my highest limit ever) and an auto loan. I also found out that anybody can join a credit union, regardless of what affiliation they have.

Most shocking credit moment of 2009: pulling my EQ FICO and seeing it at 803. After 7 years with a dozen or so derogatory accounts, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't that.

Valued Contributor
Imhotrodcrazy

US Bank extending me $27,000 in new credit. 
FICOS
TU 794 8/5/14
EX 785 8/5/14
EQ 752 7/28/14

/ Amex 16.5k / / Chase Freedom 10.6k /
Senior Contributor
score_building

first, citicard RJ to 29.99% without default or misdeed :smileyindifferent:

the next month, approved for my largest starting CL from nationwide bank!

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Regular Contributor
mgs2010

My biggest shocker was also the 29.99% RJ from citi. I was at 7.24% variable, and thankfully I was able to opt-out of their RJ and pay down my 14k at a decent rate.

Second would be getting an automatic CLI from Capital One after years of being at the same credit line of 7,500, which they told me was the "Maximum credit limit for my card type" they raised it to 9,500

lastly, I received a RJ notice from Chase to go from 6.25% up to 15.99% but---heres the real shocker---they never increased my interest rate. It was supposed to take effect in October...I called customer care and the representative advised me they decided not to raise my interest, afterall! What are the chances of that!?! especially with all of the CLDs, account closures, etc from them recently....

Established Member
FrugalTee

Multiple new unsecured cc with my highest CL @ 10k & my lowest @ 5k.  All a direct result of the valuable info. found @ myFICO.  I was reckless in my youth and now I've come into my own, simply said.....matured! 
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

WFNNB removing ALL my lates (including the 90) without even blinking, finally getting me out of the major derog bucket.

And along with BungalowMo, qualifying for Navy FCU, as the daughter of an Army officer who passed away in 1980 and certainly never belonged to anything Navy-related.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Mine would fall under "new credit card that I never wanted, didn't think I'd ever be approved for, but got under duress, and has turned out to be a good deal" LOL!

After a really boring first three quarters of '09, the big shocker for me was getting the Costco True Earnings Amex card. The one company that I was absolutely certain that I'd never-ever-not in million years do business with was American Express. It's no exaggeration, either-- I didn't ever see myself as an Amex customer, and frankly figured that they'd laugh heartily if I ever applied. One Costco trip disaster lead to another, and I found myself an Amex customer. And {{shockers!}} I'm finding that I like it. This card is rapidly becoming a favorite, and I'm finding that the overall experience is nothing of the horror that I'd imagined it would be.

Never say never, I suppose.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Valued Member
pNa

Two shockers from me. One negative, Chase not honoring the low-rate transfer checks they invited me to use as a "preferred" and "valuable" customer (they actually slashed all of my limits with them and then declined the check). The other positive, Discover discontinuing their requirement for three CC purchase transactions to keep the 0% intro going (so come February I will overpay to kill the purchase APR and have a card with a 0% APR balance). I would like to give my former Chase spending to Discover, but don't want to screw up the 0%.
Contributor
demo18c

AMEX upgraded my card to platinum....nice for travel and events

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

Chase - Citi - BofA

The grand triumvirate of customer disregard. What they did separately and collectively to their account holders in 2009 was totally appalling. (I'm so glad I avoided the tag in each case!)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+