What was your first card?

tag
resilient
Established Contributor

Re: What was your first card?

@kayvee_ wrote:

@resilient wrote:

@kayvee_ wrote:

wells fargo student visa $500 at 20 years old.

Still $500 to this day! Smiley Sad

Are you still 20?

LOL nope almost 31. All other cards have grown except WFB.

Never had WFB, from the sounds of it, I guess I'm not missing much, except their free score?

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 21 of 72
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

@resilient wrote:

@kayvee_ wrote:

@resilient wrote:

@kayvee_ wrote:

wells fargo student visa $500 at 20 years old.

Still $500 to this day! Smiley Sad

Are you still 20?

LOL nope almost 31. All other cards have grown except WFB.

Never had WFB, from the sounds of it, I guess I'm not missing much, except their free score?

I dont think its free. 

Message 22 of 72
resilient
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

$300 limit of a US Bank College card. Had to PIF every few days to be able to use it. A couple years later, it is now my cash+ card.

Dustink, your signature is pretty awesome to be 21.....I'm 31 and had to rebuild to get where I'm at now, but yours in impressive. Keep up the good work!

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 23 of 72
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Mine was a HSBC Credit card (no rewards, no annual fee, sky high interest rate)

$500 Limit

Somehow I ended up charging 1500 and it got written off Smiley Sad

*Paid the collections account off in full, contacted HSBC to remove the negative info off my CR, and all has been good ever since.

Glad I learned my lesson at 18!

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 24 of 72
resilient
Established Contributor

@TheClub wrote:

Mine was a HSBC Credit card (no rewards, no annual fee, sky high interest rate)

$500 Limit

Somehow I ended up charging 1500 and it got written off Smiley Sad

*Paid the collections account off in full, contacted HSBC to remove the negative info off my CR, and all has been good ever since.

Glad I learned my lesson at 18!

I opened an HSBC card back in 2006 as a rebuilder, $300 limit that never went any higher. Served its purpose, I retired it last year. RIP lol

Message 25 of 72
Poki
Valued Member

I received a pre-offer in the mail at the age of 18 (yep, they got me) - Capital One unsecured Playtinum (purposely misspelled) with a starting $300 limit. It eventually reached $1,000 before I decided to close it since I used my USAA MC and AmEx most of the time.

Funny thing is a few years latter I applied for a Capt1 card and its CL re-started at $300; now at a record whopping $1,500. Maybe if I just kept the old account I would be at $1,750 or even $1,550 Smiley Tongue

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 26 of 72
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:

Mine was the BofA student plat plus. 1k inital CL. I applied for it the same morning i turned 18 Smiley Happy

Really? The first thing I did when I turned 18 was purchase a Mossberg 500 SPX.... First thing I did on my 21st birthday was purchase a Glock 22. Smiley Happy

On topic :

First actual credit card was BoA Cash rewards initial limit of $600...

First open credit line was with a store called "La Curacao" which helped me start my credit journey... initial limit of $300.

Message 27 of 72
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Thanks resilient. I am about due for another app spree, but I think I have enough cards and points for now. Maybe I will look into a mortgage at some point. Don't want to mess that up. You've got a pretty nice line up too.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 28 of 72
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

started with a best buy store card 2.5k but was only approved for that due too a joint application with my mom lol. 

was buying some games, they had a buy 2 get 1 free, but figured why not . 

my own first card was macys 100$ limit two months later, the lady didnt tell me what it was and i remember messaging them on the website. i laughed so hard almost fell out of my chair. since then that card is now a 3.5k limit Smiley Happy 

its been a long 3 year ride. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 29 of 72
resilient
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Thanks @resilient. I am about due for another app spree, but I think I have enough cards and points for now. Maybe I will look into a mortgage at some point. Don't want to mess that up. You've got a pretty nice line up too.

Thanks as well. Mortgage is actually next for me. In February or March time frame, my 6 month window of having no new inquiries was 15 August, so that'll be when I start shopping, provided the Army has me in a good location lol.

Message 30 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.