Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first card?

tag
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Re: What was your first card?

Navy Federal secured card with a 500 dollar limit a little over two years ago.

Message 51 of 72
android01
Valued Contributor

Mine was an AMEX green in 1986.  I didn't understand at the time that AMEX was a charge card instead of a credit card.  I nearly died when I got the first statement and saw the full balance was due in a couple weeks.   Smiley Surprised

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 52 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Texaco Gas Card and then a BankAmericard CL $300 (pre Visa) from BofA, circa 1972. Followed by a Shoppers Charge that was merged into Associates National Bank.

Message 53 of 72
eddie84
Valued Contributor

It was either Best Buy or Providian card (or both).  Providian bank is long gone and Best Buy has the oldest account date on it which is 1999 follows by Dell (gave me my first $5k CL in 2001).

Message 54 of 72
missjae
Established Contributor

My first card was Associated National Bank or something like that. I think Citi bought them and oddly, I still have one of those card reporting.
Message 55 of 72
missjae
Established Contributor

@resilient wrote:

October, 1999...turned 18 and went to college....The Associates Visa...they came to school and gave out applications...also the GTE Visa, and the Citibank Platinum Select MC, all $500.....

Ha!  I think I had one of those too.  I vividly remember the credit card reps sitting on campus with paper applications and free water bottles and t-shirts for signing up.....I wish I knew then what I knew now.

Message 56 of 72
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@android01 wrote:

Mine was an AMEX green in 1986.  I didn't understand at the time that AMEX was a charge card instead of a credit card.  I nearly died when I got the first statement and saw the full balance was due in a couple weeks.   Smiley Surprised

Probably a good first card.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 57 of 72
myjourney
Super Contributor

HSBC visa followed by a Discover long time ago

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 58 of 72
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

BofA Classic Visa. No perks, no rewards, $1000 CL. It's the same card as in my sig, although it's changed forms many times since I was 18.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 59 of 72
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

JCP back in 1981. I had to apply for it 3 or 4 times before I convinced them that I wouldn't apply anymore if they just gave it to me. I made about $70 a month back then (drill pay) and I think my credit limit was $100.
Message 60 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.