Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first card?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: What was your first card?

First card with the secured Capital One Platinum, credit line was $225 (I must have deposited a strange amount to get such a specific limit).

First "real" card was the Discover More.

Message 21 of 56
jbsea
Established Contributor

Nordstrom with I think was a $300 cl

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 22 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom a month before turning 19!

I had no prior credit history and no knowledge of credit cards -- just saw the $175 spend bonus and applied...

Looking back, I'm surprised I got I was approved (although I had to recon twice and send them proof of identity). I did have around $8000 in my college checking account through them, so that might have helped my case? 

Message 23 of 56
Puertorican_COP
Established Member

Macys Amex with my parents co-signed but my first card under my name was discover IT.

Scores 4/20/2014: TU FICO: 717 | EQ FAKO: 771 | EX FICO: 751

Current cards in my wallet: Macy's Amex (AU) - $1000 spend limit and $2000 store limit, Discover IT $750, Capital One Quicksilver Visa $1000, Chase Freedom Visa $3000, Fuel Rewards Network MC $4500, Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000, J Crew Store Card $1000, Express Store Card $750
Message 24 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

my first one was best buy store card (joint with my mother), I got it to buy a macbook pro. last week I got BCE & Freedom on my own.

Message 25 of 56
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

sorry to disappoint you... mine was BofA ..not a card that you have never seen before...lol

Message 26 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first credit card was a First USA Titanium card. I applied 14 years years ago. It had a $1000 and no rewards. At some point, Banc One bought First USA, and it became a Banc one card -- losing Titanium status. Not that that meant anything, just advertising. Along the way, I PCd to a rewards card earning .25%; that became a 1% card. Chase bought Banc One, and my card became a Chase rewards card. One percent and and 5% cash back on groceries, gas, drug stores and convenience stores (I think that was all of them), all the time -- not just quarterly. The 5% catagories disapeared in the Great Recession. I got different auto-cli over the years., never ask for one. Eventually the card was changed into the Freedom card that I have today.

Message 27 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first card ever was an AU card of my parents before I turned 18 (16 or so). My first card in my name was an accidental application. 

I was 18 years old and shopping at JC Penney. While at the cashier, they asked me if I wanted a JCP card. I assumed it was a store loyalty card like a Safeway card and said sure. I ended up applying for a JCP credit card and did not realize what it was till I was told the bill was charged to my JCP card. I asked the clerk if I could pay the charges off at the store and she said fine, so I paid the card off at the store. When the card was mailed home, I gave the card to my mom and she basically held on to it and its renewed versions till if was finally closed 6 years later. I also got quite a big lecture on my stupidity when I got home since my parents are credit savvy and were surprised I thought a CC application was a store loyalty card. Truthfully, I don't even recall what info I gave the clerk, but I assume it included things like an SSN and income (zero).  Everytime I think about this I realize just how stupid I was about credit at 18. I am surprised the card remained open 6 years with no activity. Truth be told, I don't even recall if this was a store card or a co-branded card visa/mastercard since I have never seen or held on to the card. It was only closed about 6 years ago, so it has a few more years of helping my AAoA at least Smiley Happy 

My first "real" card was at 18 with my local CU. I still have the card and it has grown from a 5k limit to substantially more. I use it every now and then to keep it alive, but it is basically kept alive just for emergency expenses due to low APR in case I ever need it and to keep my oldest credit card alive. 

Message 28 of 56
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

WF credit card, which is still active/open

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

My very first card was/is my Banana Republic store card in 2007.  I figured if I'm going to be spending so much money here I might as well earn rewards lol.  My first actual credit card was AlaskaUSA Platinum in July 2008.  I still have both cards to this day Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.