Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was your first credit card?

Mine was an Old Navy store card I got for being an authorized user on my husband's account.

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: What was your first credit card?

The student version of the original BankAmericard issued by the old North Carolina National Bank.  The year was 1973, and every student at the University of North Carolina who was finishing up their junior year received an application in the mail.  The APR was 18%.  I had that card until 2001 when Bank of America closed it as an adverse action because of high utilization across all my cards.  I was going through a divorce.

My second card was from Exxon in 1974.  In those days, Exxon issued their own cards, without partnering with any bank.  The APR was 18%.  I finally closed that card in 2017 after 43 years of service.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Mine was an Old Navy store card I got for being an authorized user on my husband's account.

Time for a trip down memory lane...my very first card was a Citibank Visa that I got as a new-minted college graduate with my first full-time job in 1985, with a credit line of $500, which would work out to something like $1150 in 2018 dollars. I had no notion of how to handle credit in those days, obviously, so my very first purchase was to put something like 50% utilization on it by running out to Circuit City and buying a VCR, and I'd pretty much maxed it out by the end of the year. I have no notion of how I was able to get a mortgage in 1992 with only two (count 'em, two) credit cards with high utilization on both.

Message 3 of 62
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

My first was a Citibank Visa in 1992 with a $1000 limit...I remember my Mom sending it to me in college freshman year because it came in the mail directly as a pre-approved card.  She wrote a little note to me that said something like "use this wisely"...which went in one ear and out the other, lol!  First thing I did?  Went to the bank and did a cash withdrawal!!  LOLOLOL!!!  Talk about young and dumb!  

Message 4 of 62
negg
Frequent Contributor

oh man. Got to get in my way back machine for this.    Citibank visa that was the standard back then gold/White/blue stripes. I think they gave me a $500 limit which I maxed out in 3 days.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 5 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first card was from 1st Financial Bank with a $600 limit. I was 18 at the time. 

Message 6 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover card when I was in college.  Don't think I used it once as the limit was 500 dollars.  

Message 7 of 62
Jimp2323
Regular Contributor

Zale's Jewelers in 1974.  I thought I wanted to buy an engagement ring.  When I presented it to my GF she informed me that I didn't want to buy an engagement ring.   Back to the store it went.  But at least I got the card to remember her by.

Message 8 of 62
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

The USBank College Visa card with a $300 limit that I product changed to the Platinum card, then the Cash Rewards, and finally the Cash+ once they removed the 5k min requirement for Signature cards. Ironically, my credit limit was raised to 5k about a month later. 

Message 9 of 62
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Capital One Platinum card back in 2003 while I was still in high school. Still have it actually it being my oldest card in my reports.

Message 10 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.