Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What was your first credit card?

I honestly don't recal which was my very first. but I think it was either Harry Ritchie's Jewlers, or JC Penny. Been so long ago. 

Message 31 of 62
AppHappyTog
Regular Contributor

Capital one, right when I turned 18. Thought I was cool with my $500 limit. Never grew one bit before the closed it out when I was 23 when I burned them during my divorce.

Went back for round 2 with them when I started rebuilding and got handed a $300 limit

Current Scores 4/18: EQ8 645/EQ9 686/TU 664/EX 682
Starting Scores 10/17: EQ 590 /TU 592/EX 560
AAoA: 3y6mo
Message 32 of 62
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

I started in the late 90s with a First Union Visa with a $1,200 limit. I waited a long time to look into credit, but I thought that was a huge limit when I got it in the mail. 

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 33 of 62
Goal_Getter
New Contributor

A Discover card with a $1000 SL back during my freshman year in 1996. I was a broke college kid so of course i completely ruined it! I often imagine with my SL would have had i done right by that card back then. 🤔
Starting Score: 550
Current Scores: EQ 658 EX 651 TU 669
Goal Score: 700
Message 34 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

1998 capital one $250
Didn’t make one payment

20 yrs later I have 4 capital one cards
Message 35 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

2001 BofA secured $300...grew to like 11-12k..... that CC is long close now...wish I had SD that CC LoL
Message 36 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saks 5th Ave 1978 (my very first job)

Message 37 of 62
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It was some Providian card, cannot remember the name, CL $500.00. I think it was in  '99

Managed to ruin my credit with it in less than 9 moths 

Good times! 

Message 38 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Mastercard through a local bank (Bank of NH I think) back in 1985.  I wanted to get started in credit so my dad co-signed it.  It had a $1000 SL and I handled it fairly responsibly... never got into real trouble with it other than having to pay it down slowly because I couldn't afford to PIF it... it got roughly yearly CLIs, I don't remember what it ended up at when I closed it in the early 90s.  Probably around $2500 or so.

My first card I got using my own credit (no co-signer) was a AAA Visa, don't remember who issued it, I think I got that in 1989 or so.  SL was around $700 and it gradually grew to over $7K when I closed it in 1996 or so, with a balance not far below that limit.  I had a couple other cards come and go in between there too.

After that adventure I no longer trusted myself with large limits so my next card in 1997 was a MBNA Mastercard which I immediately lowered the limit to $500.  It's now a BoA card but I still have it, and it still has a $500 limit (it was $1000 for quite a few years, then $3000 for less than a day after an auto CLI in January which prompted me to call and lower it again, and tell them not to CLI anymore).

Message 39 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Journey about a month after graduating college. Started at $300 and it is now at $7500. Wish I would've got started earlier.
Message 40 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.