Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What was your first credit card?

For sure, it was as an AU on my parents Bank of Americard, or however you say that.

First card on my own was American Express Green charge card, circa sometime in the late 80's/early-90's. Then my own BofA Visa. Then the AT&T Universal Mastercard that eventually became a WMC. I had that Universal Mastercard forever, all the way up until BK in 2015. Wish I hadn't cut it up. It was my favorite.

Message 41 of 62
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

Wow what a trip down memory lane. Back in the 80s credit card lenders had booths set up on college campuses along with applications on communications boards along side flyers and pamphlets. You only had to show income from a summer job, lol. I had a Citibank Visa, the Amex Green Card, and a Sears Card as a sophomore at NC State. Upon graduation in 89 I got the old Amex Platinum Optima. Good times, lol.
NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 42 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have the history many of you do.  My first card was an HSBC back in '06.  I never had another card until last summer when I got my Capital One Platinum Secured.  

Message 43 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have the history many of you do.  My first card was an HSBC back in '06.  I never had another card until last summer when I got my Capital One Platinum Secured.  

In 2013 BOA Cash Rewards Visa Card SL $800 Score was 700's very thin or non existant file ahaha... Smiley Very Happy and this card is 5 years ,1 Month old and yes my card did grow thanks to BOA luv.

Message 44 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't worry in time you will just keep studying MyFICO... Smiley Wink someone is always here to help if we can.

Message 45 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

$1500 Visa "classic gold" from mission fed CU back in 2005.

Parents never made me an Au though mom would loan me the chevron card for fill ups.
Message 46 of 62
silvius
New Contributor

Zales Jewelry store card that I got at age 19 I believe.  Next was a Dillards department store card and I think the first 'real card' was either an AT&T Mastercard or a GM card.

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 47 of 62
silvius
New Contributor

Ah, I remember the old Chevron Cards.  White with the blue and red chevron style logo (what else)?

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 48 of 62
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I think I might have two answers to this question.

My actual first credit card was a Citibank student card, back in the days when you got a free gift to open the card and just about every student seemed to have one.  

However, in my rebuild, Merrick Bank secured was my first card.  I miss that account.  I had a lot of love for them and helping me rebuild.  Their analytics don't go past rebuilders and those with low scores, so no product to upgrade to when I got good.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 49 of 62
pip3man
Valued Contributor

My first ever credit card was in freshman year at college and that was a Bank of America Cash Rewards Platinum Plus card with a $700 limit. We had such a good time lol

Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.