Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first prime card?

tag
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

What was your first prime card?

What was your first prime card and how did you get it? Pre-approved mail offer or blind application? By first prime card, I mean after re-building. Every day I come home checking my mail hoping I'll find a pre-approved offer for a prime cc. Deep down inside inside I know I won't get one until 1 or 2 baddies get removed from my CR (I have 3 altogether).

But just curious what your first prime cc was after rebuilding? Who was the first to take a chance on you? Did you know your CR has improved enough to get it or were you totally shocked?

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
lithium78
Established Contributor

Re: What was your first prime card?

My first prime card is my Bank of America Cash Rewards card.  I was totally shocked that they approved me for it, but I guess having all my money with them was the difference maker.  My second prime card is my Discover More.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mines was a BoA Platnium Plus card with a $3k limit. It's at $13k now. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 59
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

Amex Gold was my turning point...

Message 4 of 59
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

What was your first prime card and how did you get it? Pre-approved mail offer or blind application? By first prime card, I mean after re-building. Every day I come home checking my mail hoping I'll find a pre-approved offer for a prime cc. Deep down inside inside I know I won't get one until 1 or 2 baddies get removed from my CR (I have 3 altogether).

But just curious what your first prime cc was after rebuilding? Who was the first to take a chance on you? Did you know your CR has improved enough to get it or were you totally shocked?

Good topic!

For me, Amex Green. I received an invitation to apply this past May. I was shocked by the approval, as I had 2 CAs and 4 COs showing on my reports. They're old, and a couple have fallen off between then and now, but they were indeed on there.

I'm planning on trying towards the end of the year for a BoA Platinum Plus MC that supports my alumni association. I'm really hoping that since Amex took a chance on me with scores that are lower than they are currently, then perhaps BoA will decide to take a chance, as well. By then, my scores should have inched up a bit more, as I'll have a bit more aging on my rebuilder accounts and the effects of an inq should drop off. Here's hoping...

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 59
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Depends on the definition of prime. I had a BofA student Visa and Amex Blue for Students back in 02 before I went through my Dave Ramsey phase. In 09 I applied for the USAA World MC, got approved for the Platinum for $3k, then upgraded it to World MC after 6 months with CLI to $11k. Discover More and AmEx BCP have followed since.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was a Wells Fargo Platinum Visa...started with a 1200 CL. Now I have a slew of cards thanks to Wells Fargo giving me a shot with my first credit card. Oddly enough, it's my oldest card with my lowest limit.

Message 7 of 59
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Interesting responses. It seems like all we need is one to take a chance on us and the rest is history. Can't wait to get my first prime cc. Gonna be one of the best days of my life (seriously).

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 8 of 59
shane82388
Established Contributor

Apple Barclays Financing Card.

Then American Express Green very soon after that card posted on my credit report.

Message 9 of 59
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Chase Amazon Visa with 1k cl. The rest is history.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.