** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 11 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What was your first satisfying Purchase

@RockinRay wrote:

I'm too old to remember that far back! Smiley Tongue

+1!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only try to buy what I can afford paying off in the next 1-2 paychecks, so I don't make any huge purchases on my CCs. Most of my bigger purchases (TVs, computers, laptops, thousands in lawyers fees, etc) I've paid on my debit cards.

Now that I have a higher CL on my NFCU card, I'm purposely trying NOT TO buy anything big on it. It's too tempting to buy something "just because I can" and run my balance up too high. I've been extremely responsible about not putting more on the cards than I can afford PIFing (except for times where I haven't had a paycheck for 2 months and still have to pay the bills), and I hope to stick to it. Credit can become an awful financial pit trap if you're not careful.

Message 13 of 26
UPSGregg
Established Member

We (wife and I)I only pay bills and make purchases with a credit or charge card with the intent of paying off the charges as they show up. We hate paying interest or even borrowing money in general. We prefer having a mortgage only but If we do borrow elsewhere it has to be on an interest free offer and even then we pay the balance to $0 as soon as humanly possible. We only use cards because we want to increase our credit scores (which are already "excellent" on my end) for our next house purchase. After that is done we will discontinue using cards. We went almost six years without using credit minus the mortgage and loved it but figured we had gained enough discipline to use cards to up our scores. To answer the question.....our rather large 60" LED Samsung Smart TV that we used our Best Buy Card for was our most satisfying purchase so far. Looking back I wish we had charged it on one of our Amex cards for the points but at the time of purchase we were thinking maybe of making payments (interest free) for a while. But we changed our mind.

Starting Score: EQ 779
Current Score: EQ 779
Goal Score: EQ 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UPSGregg wrote:
We (wife and I)I only pay bills and make purchases with a credit or charge card with the intent of paying off the charges as they show up. We hate paying interest or even borrowing money in general. We prefer having a mortgage only but If we do borrow elsewhere it has to be on an interest free offer and even then we pay the balance to $0 as soon as humanly possible. We only use cards because we want to increase our credit scores (which are already "excellent" on my end) for our next house purchase. After that is done we will discontinue using cards. We went almost six years without using credit minus the mortgage and loved it but figured we had gained enough discipline to use cards to up our scores.

This. I hate paying ANY interest fees, although it's a necessary evil sometimes. And I don't like borrowing any money at all. Even if friends offer to pay for something for me while I wait for my paycheck to come in, I say no. I don't like owing anyone any money, for any reason.

I survived just fine 7-8 years without a credit card, and I always figured that once I got a credit card, I could use it to make purchases that I'd pay off in a few months. But now that I actually have cards, I don't want to carry a balance at all - I have a feeling that any debt I have is going to get out of control until I pay it off immediately, so I don't let a balance ride if I can avoid it.

Message 15 of 26
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@ferrari wrote:

The diamond for my now wife's engagement ring

where do u get ur diamonds? might i suggest a site,,, the diamonds i got r FABULOUS

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really a satisfying purchase, more like satisfying event. Since I got my discover more card I never have to use a debit card for a purchase again. I still had to use it to pay rent before the discover more card but not anymore. Only for ATM withdrawls. 6 Months of using credit cards and I havent paid any interest and dont plan to. I use my credit card like a debit card.

Message 17 of 26
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not really a satisfying purchase, more like satisfying event. Since I got my discover more card I never have to use a debit card for a purchase again. I still had to use it to pay rent before the discover more card but not anymore. Only for ATM withdrawls. 6 Months of using credit cards and I havent paid any interest and dont plan to. I use my credit card like a debit card.

u can pay ur rent with a credit card? i wish i could pay BofA for my house payment with a CC,, OMG all the points i would haveSmiley Wink

Message 18 of 26
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

The US government Mint does sell (proofs and other special, but not bullion) gold, silver, and platinum coins and accepts the big four CCs for payment.

http://www.usmint.gov

However, I wouldn't make this the first charge on a CC unless it was for a very small fraction of one's CL.  CC banks watch initial purchases closely for goods that have a high resale value. Just like jewelry, these kinds of purchases are typical of so called "bust out" fraudsters.

They are very pretty!

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I could pay my rent on a credit card, but no. I have to take them a check every month. They send me the bill so late every month that I can't even mail it out in time, I have to always go drop it off in person so I don't get late fees. Smiley Mad

Come to think of it, I have to pay my utilities (gas from Columbia Gas and electric from AEP Ohio) using my bank's bill pay, since otherwise I get charged a "convenience fee" for using my credit card.

I'd love to get to a point where I could just pay it all on my CCs and pay the cards off, that way it would be easier to keep track of everything, plus I'd get more usage (and, potentially, rewards) from my cards.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.