cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will happen if Primary User closes account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What will happen if Primary User closes account?

Im trying to google it, but cant find a definitive answer. What will happen to the authorized users if the primary user closes the credit card account?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: What will happen if Primary User closes account?

The AU is cut off and their cards are cancelled.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You won't be able to use the card anymore, for one. I know that if you are removed as an authorized user for the card, the whole account gets taken off your credit report. I would assume (but I'm not positive) that a closed account will be taken off as well.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

Is that bad on their report?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

Is that bad on their report?

That depends. The account would go away, so your credit score will be based on whatever remains on your credit report.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You won't be able to use the card anymore, for one. I know that if you are removed as an authorized user for the card, the whole account gets taken off your credit report. I would assume (but I'm not positive) that a closed account will be taken off as well.

Gets taken off as in with no sign of it being opened at all? 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gets taken off as in with no sign of it being opened at all? 

Unless the creditor decides to remove the account, usually it remains on your report for 10 years and  will still get credit for the account assuming it was paid on time.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the answers Smiley Very Happy!

Message 8 of 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Im trying to google it, but cant find a definitive answer. What will happen to the authorized users if the primary user closes the credit card account?

You will disappear.  You will no longer exist anymore and vanish from history.  No one will know who you were and all records of your existence will not exist.  This creates a bit of problem if you have any children, especially if they need a ride to school tomorrow.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You will disappear.  You will no longer exist anymore and vanish from history.  No one will know who you were and all records of your existence will not exist.  This creates a bit of problem if you have any children, especially if they need a ride to school tomorrow.

lol. From a credit standpoint, accurate, but I've never heard of losing AU status being related to the rapture. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.