Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will happen to my Citi Forward?

tag
mikelo22
Established Contributor

What will happen to my Citi Forward?

Hey all,

I recently started frequenting these forums and have really enjoyed the discussion here. I had a question of my own if anyone would mind clearing this up for me.

As a bit of background, right now I'm 23 with a credit score of 719. I recently got accepted for American Express Blue Cash Everyday, SallieMae Barclays World Mastercard, and a Discover It card. Before this, I have had a Citi Forward and a Chase Freedom.

Since I just went through an app splurge, I'm obviously going to be gardening for quite some time now.

However, I'm worried about what's going to happen to my Citi Forward card once it expires in several months. It's my oldest card and the first card I applied for back when I was a college student. While I don't use it much anymore, I want to keep it open to help keep my AAoA up as that is definitely going to be a concern for me going forward. 

I realize Citi discontinued the card just a few months after I applied for and got it. So what will happen when this card expires exactly? Will Citi try to get me on another card? If so, will I maintain the age of my account with them? Will this result in any more HP's on my credit? 

As I said, I recently went through a splurge so I plan on gardening for a long time, but this potential probem just occurred to me today.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: What will happen to my Citi Forward?

Usually, the card just renews.   From time to time, issuers do clean up old cards and replace with new "better" ones, but they usually don't wait for cards to expire.

I haven't heard any reports of people losing their Forward (or the 5x benefit, although we are expecting that) so I would expect you to just receive a new Forward.

Message 2 of 6
gh17
Frequent Contributor

It's not going to automatically go away when your card reaches its expiration date.

In my opinion, it's likely they'll switch us over at some point, but we really have no idea when - hopefully not for quite a while!  Unless you hear otherwise from them, assume that it will just renew.  My guess is we have at least a year or two before we need to start worrying, hopefully a lot longer.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 3 of 6
gh17
Frequent Contributor

But if they do make us switch eventually, it won't be a new hard pull and your account age won't change.  It will look the same on your credit report; it will just have different rewards.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 4 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

But if they do make us switch eventually, it won't be a new hard pull and your account age won't change.  It will look the same on your credit report; it will just have different rewards.

Different, and probably not in a good way!

Message 5 of 6
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Alright, thanks for the all help guys. That makes me feel better.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.