Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will happen when...

tag
WillF360
Regular Contributor

What will happen when...

Hey ladies and gentlemen!  As some of you may have read, we closed on our first house about a week ago, and I went on a mini app spree.  I was able to get a few new credt cards for my use.  My current scores as of today are as follows:

Experian 697, Equifax 685, TransUnion 673

These are all pulls from the MyFico site, which we all know not all lenders use.  My question though, is in two parts.  First, when our Mortgage finally starts reporting, what will happen to my score?  Will it go up, down, stay the same?  What should I expect?  I know once you have a mortgage reporting, your score is able to go higher than if you don't have a mortgage. 

Secondly, during my App Spree, I did not get a card thats reward program was based on "miles".  I was mainly looking at cash back rewards for whatever reason.  I was at work today driving, and I started kicking myself, as we do travel quite often, and being able to get miles as a perk, would have been great.  Question now, is do I app for another card to get bonus miles?  If so, which one? 

Lastly, the Amazon.com Credit Card, worth it?  I have a Chase Freedom, and I know that the Amazon.com cards are issued by Chase.  Chances of Approval pretty good?  The only reason I ask, is that they have a $50 credit right now for approval, and 3x points on Amazon.com purchases.  With the holidays coming up, I can use Chase Freedom of course, or grab the Amazon.com card.

My Inquiries are high, but when I check my credit report, it lists 5 inquiries for mortgage alone. And they're all within a 45 day time frame.  3 are the same company, checking 9 days apart total.  I have the 3 other inquiries from last week.  Total it's showing 8 on Experian, 8 on Equifax, and 7 on TransUnion.  Granted though, it's counting each mortgage pull as a separate inquiry, which I didn't think it was supposed to do.

Sorry for the long post. Long day. Too many thoughts in my mind. Smiley Happy

Also, just read another thread on the Barclays card. Did the pre-screen offer, and it came up with:

Based on your information, these products might interest you: Barclaycard Arrival World MC as the recommended card.  Looks like a good travel card.

In the Garden since 9/15/13... Goal Date 4/15/14 (WISH ME LUCK)
Closed on First Home 9/13/2013: USDA RURAL HOUSING
Lender Pull 7/25- EQ 673, EX 693, TU 670
Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Goal Score: 720 | Starting Scores (2/12): EQ 493, EX 521, TU 463
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Re: What will happen when...

Help meh, please myFico gurus! 

Amex is taunting me in my browser ads, haha. Everywhere I go is the Amex Platinum, 50k bonus.

Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@WillF360 wrote:

Hey ladies and gentlemen!  As some of you may have read, we closed on our first house about a week ago, and I went on a mini app spree.  I was able to get a few new credt cards for my use.  My current scores as of today are as follows:

Experian 697, Equifax 685, TransUnion 673

These are all pulls from the MyFico site, which we all know not all lenders use.  My question though, is in two parts.  First, when our Mortgage finally starts reporting, what will happen to my score?  Will it go up, down, stay the same?  What should I expect?  I know once you have a mortgage reporting, your score is able to go higher than if you don't have a mortgage. Hard to say if it goes up or down it all depends on the size of you files

If thick it could go up....If thin it's going down

Secondly, during my App Spree, I did not get a card thats reward program was based on "miles".  I was mainly looking at cash back rewards for whatever reason.  I was at work today driving, and I started kicking myself, as we do travel quite often, and being able to get miles as a perk, would have been great.  Question now, is do I app for another card to get bonus miles?  If so, which one? What are you looking for hotel, travel miles, cards etc etc 

Lastly, the Amazon.com Credit Card, worth it?  I have a Chase Freedom, and I know that the Amazon.com cards are issued by Chase.  Chances of Approval pretty good?  The only reason I ask, is that they have a $50 credit right now for approval, and 3x points on Amazon.com purchases.  With the holidays coming up, I can use Chase Freedom of course, or grab the Amazon.com card.Discover will be 5% online shopping for holidays 

My Inquiries are high, but when I check my credit report, it lists 5 inquiries for mortgage alone. And they're all within a 45 day time frame.  3 are the same company, checking 9 days apart total.  I have the 3 other inquiries from last week.  Total it's showing 8 on Experian, 8 on Equifax, and 7 on TransUnion.  Granted though, it's counting each mortgage pull as a separate inquiry, which I didn't think it was supposed to do.

Sorry for the long post. Long day. Too many thoughts in my mind. Smiley Happy

Also, just read another thread on the Barclays card. Did the pre-screen offer, and it came up with:

Based on your information, these products might interest you: Barclaycard Arrival World MC as the recommended card.  Looks like a good travel card.

I still recommend its time to garden but if your going to app do it before mortgage reports 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Thanks myjourney. I was heading to the garden, and then today while driving, I started worrying about what my score was going to do after the mortgage.  I have a pretty thick file I think.  I think anywhere from 18-26 accounts on each bureau. That's listed as a positive on every monitoring site that I view.  But then when you do those score simulators, it normally does a score decrease when you add a mortgage.  If I was going to get another app in, I want to do it while my score is at it's highest. I'm assuming within 6-7 months of on time mortgage payment, the score will be rebounding anyway, but not sure.

I stay in hotels weekly with my job, and my wife was a flight attendant, so we fly somewhat often as well.  If I can stay in hotels and accumulate points for travel/miles, then that'd probably be the best bet.

Message 4 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@WillF360 wrote:

Thanks myjourney. I was heading to the garden, and then today while driving, I started worrying about what my score was going to do after the mortgage.  I have a pretty thick file I think.  I think anywhere from 18-26 accounts on each bureau. That's listed as a positive on every monitoring site that I view.  But then when you do those score simulators, it normally does a score decrease when you add a mortgage.  If I was going to get another app in, I want to do it while my score is at it's highest. I'm assuming within 6-7 months of on time mortgage payment, the score will be rebounding anyway, but not sure.

I stay in hotels weekly with my job, and my wife was a flight attendant, so we fly somewhat often as well.  If I can stay in hotels and accumulate points for travel/miles, then that'd probably be the best bet.

Yes scores will rebound if they even go down about 6 months give or take and with 18-26 accounts yes your file is thick...However your AAoA is getting ready to take a major hit from both new CC's and the mortgage.......

Just want you to have all the facts before you make your choice Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 10
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Our thing is, we are "planning" a trip to Disney next year for the 2 little ones.  Having redeemable miles would certainly be a plus.  I got trigger happy last weekend when applying, without really setting a firm "sight" on what I needed to accomplish. 

My AAoA is 8 yrs 7 months on EQ, 12 Yrs+ on the other 2.  I know it'll take a small hit. Most of those are from Student Loans and/or older closed credit cards. 

Blah, what to do, what to do? Is there an "Easy" Button like on Staples?

Message 6 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@WillF360 wrote:

Our thing is, we are "planning" a trip to Disney next year for the 2 little ones.  Having redeemable miles would certainly be a plus.  I got trigger happy last weekend when applying, without really setting a firm "sight" on what I needed to accomplish. 

My AAoA is 8 yrs 7 months on EQ, 12 Yrs+ on the other 2.  I know it'll take a small hit. Most of those are from Student Loans and/or older closed credit cards. 

Blah, what to do, what to do? Is there an "Easy" Button like on Staples?

Don't you wish....Ha ha ha good one

I do my very best to help people make the right choice and when I feel it could go either way I suggest gardening vs a denial YMMV and leaning towards yes but fearing the other..

And as they say I just feel it garden time but others may feel otherwise so because you don't have that button for me to push....Lol

Good luck and best wishes 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@WillF360 wrote:

Secondly, during my App Spree, I did not get a card thats reward program was based on "miles".  I was mainly looking at cash back rewards for whatever reason.  I was at work today driving, and I started kicking myself, as we do travel quite often, and being able to get miles as a perk, would have been great.  Question now, is do I app for another card to get bonus miles?  If so, which one? 

First of all, you don't need miles for travel rewards.  Most of my travel rewards come from my CSP which earns points.

Second, you need ot give us a lot more information to give you recommendations.  Who do you use most often for travel?  Knowing how you intend to redeem travel rewards is going to be an important matter in making such decisions.  You'll want a card that earns rewards with that travel company or a card that transfers at a favorable exchange rate.   You'll also want a card that slots in with your spend patterns.

@WillF360 wrote:

Lastly, the Amazon.com Credit Card, worth it?  I have a Chase Freedom, and I know that the Amazon.com cards are issued by Chase.  Chances of Approval pretty good?  The only reason I ask, is that they have a $50 credit right now for approval, and 3x points on Amazon.com purchases.  With the holidays coming up, I can use Chase Freedom of course, or grab the Amazon.com card.

Depends on who you ask.  Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic.  If it was universally worth it then everyone would have it.  If it was universally not worth it then no one would have it.  You have the details.  It's your call to make.

Message 8 of 10
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

The CSP would probably be a good choice for a travel card, since it has the 40,000 bonus points after you meet the minimum spend, and you can transfter the UR points to a variety of hotel or airline loyalty programs.  Gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of spending your points.  Best of luck.

Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The Amazon store card is backed by GE but only is really good for 0% offers.

The Chase Amazon Visa is pretty decent but Freedom and Discover are going into online shopping starting oct 1 - dec. 31 and I know for sure Discover counts Amazon and I think the freedom will too (so for the next 3 months those 2 cards are actually going to be better than the amazon visa.

so if you don't have discover, I would get that now and then next year if you are doing a lot of shopping at amazon, get it then... that's what I'm doing Smiley Happy

I also would not get miles card, i just don't find they pay off... directly from airline maybe if you travel a lot or overseas but the benifits and ability to get tickets with the least miles turn in makes it very hard to make your daily spend worth it on a travel card

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.