Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 531
Registered: ‎07-28-2008
0

What would happen if ...

Let's suppose one had a perfect report (7% debt ratio or lower, established accounts, etc.) with the exception of high inquiries? We're talking 15, 20 or more inquiries but everything else pretty much exceeded the criteria of most lenders. Would this supersede the inquiries in most cases?

 

I specifically remember a Bank of America credit analyst telling me: "Oh, I don't look at those. Inquiries make no difference to me. It's the other factors that determine whether or not I will grant a customer credit."

 

Thoughts?

 

UM

Equifax Fico 785 as of 01/18/2012
New Contributor
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎11-29-2011
0

Re: What would happen if ...

Sounds like a YMMV situation, since I'd think the computer would automatically deny you for Too Many INQ but a Credit Analyst may override it.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Epic Contributor
Posts: 28,035
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: What would happen if ...

Concord is proof that very rarely to INQ come into a problem with getting approved for more credit... I personally think INQ should always be overlooked... Sparkletts Water Delivery pulled a hard, Time Warner Cable Pulled a Hard, Apartment... Moving is a disaster on INQ!!!!!

You don't usually move every day but still if all these companies want to keep pulling our credit, they should not count in our score or taken into consideration for new apps.

My Gardening 04/29/2016 All 3 Reports on Lockdown
Partner Joined Garden 04/11/2016
Established Contributor
Posts: 619
Registered: ‎06-18-2007
0

Re: What would happen if ...

My thought is that most lenders don't look at inquiries.  People get very worked up over them, and I admit it twists my axle when I lose a few points on a credit score over them.  I think they might be THE single ONE most unfair aspect of credit scoring.  It goes against free market principles that consumers cannot shop around for the best deal for themselves without being punished for it by being considered a "poor credit risk."  I think they should not even be listed for the perusal of potential lenders.

 

I think that management of existing and past accounts should be far more important and I bet it is.  Also, I rarely hear credit card issuers say anything about credit scores.  I think they look at number of accounts and more importantly, balances on accounts, and to a lesser degree, percent of credit utilized.  Any time I've had a personal conversation with a credit analyst, it seems like their biggest concern was the amount of debt I had overall and the amount of that debt that was newly acquired. I was asked flat-out, "Do you realize you've taken on $X amount of new debt this year over last year?  What was the reason for this??"

_________________________________________________________
Too many accounts; too many debts; lots of open credit, and lots of utilized credit. Scores somewhere in the 600s - I have no earthly idea exactly what number, but not 700 like it was, briefly.
Super Contributor
Posts: 6,026
Registered: ‎09-18-2007
0

Re: What would happen if ...


Creditaddict wrote:

Concord is proof that very rarely to INQ come into a problem with getting approved for more credit... I personally think INQ should always be overlooked... Sparkletts Water Delivery pulled a hard, Time Warner Cable Pulled a Hard, Apartment... Moving is a disaster on INQ!!!!!

You don't usually move every day but still if all these companies want to keep pulling our credit, they should not count in our score or taken into consideration for new apps.


I probably have 60 or 70 inq's on my EX and I am not sure how many I have on my EQ.

Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,446
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: What would happen if ...


PetRaccoon wrote:

Sounds like a YMMV situation, since I'd think the computer would automatically deny you for Too Many INQ but a Credit Analyst may override it.


+1

 

I think It depends on if most of those inquiries are for credit and not say auto/mortgage shopping




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Established Contributor
Posts: 531
Registered: ‎07-28-2008
0

Re: What would happen if ...

Concord,

 

What does the rest of your report look like? Do these inquiries ever come in the way of obtaining new credit or cli's?

 

Sorry for all the questions but I'm really curious about the inquiry thing.

 

UM

Equifax Fico 785 as of 01/18/2012
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,446
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: What would happen if ...


concorduser wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

Concord is proof that very rarely to INQ come into a problem with getting approved for more credit... I personally think INQ should always be overlooked... Sparkletts Water Delivery pulled a hard, Time Warner Cable Pulled a Hard, Apartment... Moving is a disaster on INQ!!!!!

You don't usually move every day but still if all these companies want to keep pulling our credit, they should not count in our score or taken into consideration for new apps.


I probably have 60 or 70 inq's on my EX and I am not sure how many I have on my EQ.



Good googly moogly.....................I thought 13 was alot!




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,424
Registered: ‎08-28-2010
0

Re: What would happen if ...


LS2982 wrote:

concorduser wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

Concord is proof that very rarely to INQ come into a problem with getting approved for more credit... I personally think INQ should always be overlooked... Sparkletts Water Delivery pulled a hard, Time Warner Cable Pulled a Hard, Apartment... Moving is a disaster on INQ!!!!!

You don't usually move every day but still if all these companies want to keep pulling our credit, they should not count in our score or taken into consideration for new apps.


I probably have 60 or 70 inq's on my EX and I am not sure how many I have on my EQ.



Good googly moogly.....................I thought 13 was alot!


passes out

Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,446
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: What would happen if ...

Let me app for a prime card with 60-70 INQ's.......They'd kick it back with C'MON MAN!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.