Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would happen

tag
SantaMar
Regular Contributor

What would happen

If you were an die with substantial credit card debt?! Like 50k?!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: What would happen

Say what!?!?! What would happen if you were to die owing 50k in credit card debt? Am I understanding right? If so good question hahha Smiley Happy

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 12
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@SantaMar wrote:

Well, the creditors can go after an estate if the debtor has one. If the person doesn't have an estate the banks can write it off. 

Message 3 of 12
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@SantaMar wrote:

I can't remember which CCC it was, but they came after my mother-in-law shortly after my father-in-law passed. She was taking it very hard, and did not pay attention to all his finances and missed a card he had. It became late and she became responsible for the balance and late fee's, etc.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 4 of 12
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

The creditor going to updated  new address and sent bill to  new ""grave "" address every months until no mail man going to delivery it.............

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 12
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@SantaMar wrote:

It would be deducted from the life insurance payout, since you were responsible and purchased a policy for at least 3x your current annual salary. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 12
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@SantaMar wrote:

It would be deducted from the life insurance payout, since you were responsible and purchased a policy for at least 3x your current annual salary. 

I'm thinking that was the issue with my in-laws. I don't think he had any life insurance, but i'm not positive. I'm like you though. My employer offers some great rates on life insurance, etc and I'm still young enough that it barely costs anything to have 7 times my salary (the max they do).

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 7 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

@j_casteel wrote:

@SantaMar wrote:

I can't remember which CCC it was, but they came after my mother-in-law shortly after my father-in-law passed. She was taking it very hard, and did not pay attention to all his finances and missed a card he had. It became late and she became responsible for the balance and late fee's, etc.

Was your mother-in-law a joint account holder? Unless she was, I don't see how it would be legal that she be held responsible for her husband's credit card management. Balances, sure, but late fees and such???

Message 8 of 12
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@SantaMar wrote:

You need to check the state in which you reside, but life insurance proceeds are typically not part of the deceased estate.  As such, creditors can not go after them as the debt would be a debt owed by the estate.  Its one of the benefits of life insurance proceeds.  However, there is a work around by the creditors.  If you probate the will (if there is one)/open a succession and accept the succession then you maybe personally liable for the debts of the estate.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@SantaMar wrote:

Was your mother-in-law a joint account holder? Unless she was, I don't see how it would be legal that she be held responsible for her husband's credit card management. Balances, sure, but late fees and such???

I'm not sure of all the details, but she ended up paying it regardless. She may have been a joint owner. I just remember my wife telling me how her mom had to pay off her dad's CC after he died or they were going to try to send her to collections.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.