Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do with these cards?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

What would you do with these cards?

In the last six months I have had 2 inquiries which were recent. I picked up an Amex Business blue which will not show on my credit report and I picked up a CSR.

I have AFs hitting on my Chase Hyatt card and citi hilton reserve. I have kept both of these cards for two years. I am thinking about apping for another citi hilton reserve to get the signup again and closing out my current one. I am also thinking about contacting chase to reallocate my 21.7k credit like to some of my other cards and closing the hyatt card. Since the hyatt card is not subject to 5/24 and I already was given my free night I figured I could lose it and then in 2 or 3 months when I complete my other signup requirements I could app agaiin for another hyatt card and get that signup again. Does this plan make sense? I'm not trying to rock the boat too much, but the hilton and hyatt card aren't worth the AF to me and if I close the citi hilton reserve it will be another two years before I can get the bonus again. Plus I like the gold status that comes with it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: What would you do with these cards?

I was under the impression that Chase will not allow you to earn a bonus on a card if you either have it currently or have had it open in within 2 years of a new application. Are you certain that Citi will allow the bonus in their case? I'd find out before I went on closing accounts.

Message 2 of 4
red259
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

I was under the impression that Chase will not allow you to earn a bonus on a card if you either have it currently or have had it open in within 2 years of a new application. Are you certain that Citi will allow the bonus in their case? I'd find out before I went on closing accounts.

With citi you can get the bonus if you have not opened/or closed any cards in the family of cards within the past two years, 

In terms of Chase the specific language says: "This product is available to you if you don’t have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months." So it says nothing about having closed a card in the past 24 months or even having the card in the past 24 months. It just says the card can't be currently open and you can't have gotten the bonus in the past 24 months. 

I'm not paying the AFs on these cards no matter what so they will be closed one way or another. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 4
redpat
Senior Contributor

Close them.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.