Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you recommend?

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: What would you recommend?

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I still don't understand the difference between charge cards and credit cards. Does the charge cards not come with a preset limit?

Charge cards (AMEX Green, Gold and Platinum, Chase Ink Bold) have no preset spending limit but do have an internally bank set ceiling that will grow as you spend and pay in full each month. You will never know what the max spend on the card might be at any given point. The main difference is THEY MUST BE PAID IN FULL EVERY MONTH - ZERO BALANCE CARRYOVER. 

Credit cards have a hard limit you can't exceed at all but they will allow you to carry a balance month to month. 

Message 11 of 13
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Ah! Got it! I feel very enlightened now. Thank you. Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 12 of 13
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
Ah! Got it! I feel very enlightened now. Thank you. Smiley Happy

You are welcome! I hope you didn't misread my all caps as anything but highlighting the important stuff. 

I think you can get in with AMEX. I see you like to fly Delta and think you should be able to get one of the Delta AMEX cards (Gold would be fine no need to carry a heavy annual fee for the extra perks). Typically that card is the easiest AMEX revolver to get (or so I hear on this site). You can typically get a CLI after 61 days pretty easy. Another option as others stated is the Green AMEX charge card - as long as you are very serious about being able to pay in full every month no matter what. Good way to do this is just charge work related stuff but make sure they can cut you reimbursement payment quick enough to get it in bank in time to pay your bill. 

Don't count Chase out either. Get caught up on your Freedom and go into a Chase branch (if you live near one) and chat them up. Sometimes they can offer another card and check to see if you can upgrade or pre qualify for another. 

Whatever you do pick ONE CARD, apply and hope for the best. If declined post the details on the site under a new thread and someone will be able to help guide you thru a recon attempt (just not AMEX as they don't play that game well). When you get the card work on utilizing it for a good 4 months or more before moving upward and onward. Patience is the key...

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.