Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatever Discover

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Whatever Discover

Blessing in disguise.

Since the 5% is capped at $1,500 per quarter, unless you have a 0% promo, do you really want to use the CL for general 1% cashback spending when there are tons of 1.5% - 2% casbach alternatives out there?

Message 31 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Discover it started at $6500. FICO score was at 700, 40% ultilization ratio, lowest card $1000, highest $7900. Reading around, I can see all of you who have ~800 FICO have terrible starting limit. So here is my advice for you: next time you apply for Discover, do whatever it takes to make ultilization to 40% and score to 700. Get a new car, buy a new house with your credit card, BK, CO, tax lien. I don't care. Just get to the damn 700, 40% magic numbers Smiley Tongue

Joking aside. I had 0 inquiries on EQ at the time I applied for Discover it (for like 72 months Smiley Happy). It just happened that none of the card applied for pulled EQ prior to Discover it. That might be the key Smiley Wink Or maybe I danced naked in the garden the day I applied. Who knows Smiley Very Happy

@Runitup wrote:

Got my "It" package in the mail today.  They pulled Experian.  My score is 829.  Credit limit: $6,375.  What a joke.

Message 32 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My Discover it started at $6500. FICO score was at 700, 40% ultilization ratio, lowest card $1000, highest $7900. Reading around, I can see all of you who have ~800 FICO have terrible starting limit. So here is my advice for you: next time you apply for Discover, do whatever it takes to make ultilization to 40% and score to 700. Get a new car, buy a new house with your credit card, CK, CO, tax lien. I don't care. Just get to the damn 700, 40% magic numbers Smiley Tongue

Right, because after the $1,500 cap, desparation would be the only reason to spend on a 1% card!

Message 33 of 47
core
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:
Right, because after the $1,500 cap, desparation would be the only reason to spend on a 1% card!

Well until just recently, you could use your Discover card (and only Discover) at Evolve Money to pay your bills and make quite a bit of cash.  And then there are certain utilities and government-type agencies that only take Discover (unless you want to pay a hefty fee).  For example the drivers license place here in my state.  I'm not sure how they got in bed with Discover.

So the card isn't totally useless after you maxed your $1500.

Message 34 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did my joking cue light not blink Smiley Mad? Besides, I thought Discover It has some 5% rotating category? You can SD the card until the category is right, or just SD it until it is canceled by the lender if you do not find it useful :-)

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My Discover it started at $6500. FICO score was at 700, 40% ultilization ratio, lowest card $1000, highest $7900. Reading around, I can see all of you who have ~800 FICO have terrible starting limit. So here is my advice for you: next time you apply for Discover, do whatever it takes to make ultilization to 40% and score to 700. Get a new car, buy a new house with your credit card, CK, CO, tax lien. I don't care. Just get to the damn 700, 40% magic numbers Smiley Tongue

Message 35 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Runitup wrote:

Got my "It" package in the mail today.  They pulled Experian.  My score is 829.  Credit limit: $6,375.  What a joke.

congrats!! i guess the jokes on me! the limit seems about right in regards to discover being uber conservative. heck ill take your limit any day over my 1,500!  lol.

Im grateful and i know it will grow! with that score and depending on your history yours will too! enjoy!

Yeah, I was initially given a $500 CL, auto CLI to $750 after about 6 months, about a year ago. But I was just denied with my CLI request (for a SP) last week, possibly due to my recent credit card apps? Just opened 2 new cards in that last month with much more generous CLs. Even so, my Discover it has been great with the right categories. Eventually I hope my limit will increase, I'll give it a few more months to try again.

agreed! least you have patience with it! around april 24th is my first CLI with disco and i hope its generous as well! ive been using this card like crazy, and built up a hefty cashback bonus, so we shall see! keep us informed!

Message 36 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear dude, but you should know Discover is stingier than most with starting limits. Can't win 'em all but it wouldn't hurt to be a little less bratty about it. Some of us here would be happy with that limit. Reading your post made me feel especially bad man. Tears are everywhere.

I know I would.

Message 37 of 47
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

sounds like a good start to me. I was recently approved for a $7,500 limit.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 38 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surprised so many people say Discover gave really low starting limits. They gave me 9.5k as my starting limit. And I'm still a student.

Message 39 of 47
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

Having your call be answered by a person in an American-based call center is one of the best reasons to have Discover. That's a real benefit for any card especially one that charges no annual fee. I also like the 5% discounts. 

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.