cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats Better Pay in full before the statement cuts, after it cuts, leave a small balance??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whats Better Pay in full before the statement cuts, after it cuts, leave a small balance??

I keep my balances under 10% Util when the statement cuts then PIF. That's all there is to it and my Fico's have been on a steady rise with way higher numbers to come as I use and add to my credit responsibly. 

Message 11 of 13
Mzjedwards1
Valued Member

Re: Whats Better Pay in full before the statement cuts, after it cuts, leave a small balance??

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice and clarification. I have heard it both ways.. So I am going to give it try next month and see what happens, My limits are very low as you can see so Utilization for me important. I do manage to keep my balances under the 30%. I have that fingerhut card which I have only used once and it actually has my biggest credit line of 500.. Sad I know... But im rebuilding slowly.  I am gardening until the first of the year or December this year and ill check my scores again and see if I can move up to something else. My Capital one card will be a about  a year old by then .. Thanks again.. I love this site and the awesome advice!!

Garden Club Member" width="40" height="40" align="right">
Credit One Platinum $450 / Capital One Platinum: $500 / Wells Fargo Platinum: $300 /Kohls $300/ Fingerhut $500/ Total Visa $300/ Express $250/Quicksilver 500/Best Buy Visa 2000
621 Exp/675 TU/ 624 EQ.....Gardening until.........2018??
Message 12 of 13
brother7
Established Contributor

Fine-tuning one's reported CC balances for the purpose of maximizing credit score isn't important UNLESS you intend to apply for new credit in the next 1-2 months, in which case I would adjust payments such that all but one card reports zero balance and the remaining one card reports 1% utilization. In my experience, that will give you the optimal credit score.

Please refer to my reply in this thread for how to report zero balance and 1% utilization. My example there uses actual dates so it's easier to understand when to make payments and for how much.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.