Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats cards to get? What is Gardening ?

tag
wallywonka
Established Member

Whats cards to get? What is Gardening ?

Hey, 

New to the forums here and I would like to get some good info from the veterans !

I have started the process of rebuilding my credit and I realize from these forums that 

2-4 credit cards is a good number of account open to rebuild and max out that FICO! 

Currently I am at about a 560 fico across all three and want to know what card or cards I should apply for?

Right now I ONLY have a Capital One unsecured card with a $500 limit.

What cards can I apply for with my credit scores? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Whats cards to get? What is Gardening ?

@wallywonka wrote:

Hey, 

New to the forums here and I would like to get some good info from the veterans !

I have started the process of rebuilding my credit and I realize from these forums that 

2-4 credit cards is a good number of account open to rebuild and max out that FICO! 

Currently I am at about a 560 fico across all three and want to know what card or cards I should apply for?

Right now I ONLY have a Capital One unsecured card with a $500 limit.

What cards can I apply for with my credit scores? 

Welcome to the forum

How long have you had the CAP1?

What baddies do you have? with scores that low either a thin file or baddies are holding you downSmiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
wallywonka
Established Member

I have had the Cap1 Account for 1 year this month with no lates and a zero balance on the card currently showing. 

I do have a couple small collections account on files.

I have several paid off auto loans, current auto loans in excellent standing. 

Just finished student loan rehab program and have all new trade lines reporting for student loans. 

BUT>> and this maybe a big but .. some of the old student loands are hanging on my Trans and EQ reports. 

I would love to apply for a Chase freedom?  Thoughts?

Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Before applying for any new cc's you need to clean up the baddies. I'd start by asking for PFDs on the small collections, email the EO of Cap 1 and am for a CLI, APR reduction and AF waived.

Chase isn't out of the realm of possibilities- the CS will go up once you've taken care of those baddies. Chase is probably going to need a mid 600's with little to no unpaid collection accts and no recent baddies.
Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@wallywonka wrote:

I have had the Cap1 Account for 1 year this month with no lates and a zero balance on the card currently showing. 

I do have a couple small collections account on files.

I have several paid off auto loans, current auto loans in excellent standing. 

Just finished student loan rehab program and have all new trade lines reporting for student loans. 

BUT>> and this maybe a big but .. some of the old student loands are hanging on my Trans and EQ reports. 

I would love to apply for a Chase freedom?  Thoughts?

I have to be honest with scores that low chances of Chase approval are low...sorrry

have you tried to get the old student loans removed from CR?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Before applying for any new cc's you need to clean up the baddies. I'd start by asking for PFDs on the small collections, email the EO of Cap 1 and am for a CLI, APR reduction and AF waived.

Chase isn't out of the realm of possibilities- the CS will go up once you've taken care of those baddies. Chase is probably going to need a mid 600's with little to no unpaid collection accts and no recent baddies.

+1

Definitely get your scores up, and try to get those derogs removed. 

Your scores are too low as it is, and those derogs are hurting your chances.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 9
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Try to get a cli through EO route in case of CapOne. Try to have a util between 1-9% on your CapOne card which means balance of more than $5 but less than $45 on your billing date.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 7 of 9
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Great advice. I was in the mid 600's when I was approved for my Freedom card. I recommend doing exactly how Lexie says. If you can get your score up and get the Chase Freedom, it is a card that you can keep long term even after you get your score up into the 700's. Which I think is important to build a solid base and get cards that you want long term so you won't be messing with your AAoA constantly. I know it isn't always possible however.

Message 8 of 9
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

09Lexie wrote:
 Before applying for any new cc's you need to clean up the baddies.

1+

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.