Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats considered too low

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

Whats considered too low

Browsing through threads and reading thru a few peoples denials one of the reasons listed were

"Too minimal of a payment made on revolving acct" (Or something along those lines)

But what's considered too min of a payment?

On one card I only have a $500 of a limit so I can only charge max $100 dollars. So I'll charge around $90 and pay half to leave a balance to report 1-9%. But if it's gonna hurt me in the long run I'd prefer to just PIF... I just don't like to let the lender report a $0 balance.

Can someone explain this into more depth?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: Whats considered too low

Not too sure but when my only card was a $500 limit I payed in full after the statement closed. I have always payed in full after the statements closes on all my cards, never during the statement and it's worked out well for me. Ideally, you want the statement to close out at 1-9% utilization but I am way too lazy to make multiple payments during the month

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 2 of 20
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Looks lke your doing ti right that way a balance is reporting every month and there is activity on the account.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 3 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

Browsing through threads and reading thru a few peoples denials one of the reasons listed were

"Too minimal of a payment made on revolving acct" (Or something along those lines)

On one card I only have a $500 of a limit so I can only charge max $100 dollars. So I'll charge around $90 and pay half to leave a balance to report 1-9%. But if it's gonna hurt me in the long run I'd prefer to just PIF... I just don't like to let the lender report a $0 balance.

TBH I would considered "Too minimal of a payement" Is anywhere between $25 ( or $35 depending on what is the min payement for that Credit card)  and around $50-$60 would be considered "too minimal of a payment" but that is just my opinion of what I would consider it to be 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 20
TheFate
Established Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

Not too sure but when my only card was a $500 limit I payed in full after the statement closed. I have always payed in full after the statements closes on all my cards, never during the statement and it's worked out well for me. Ideally, you want the statement to close out at 1-9% utilization but I am way too lazy to make multiple payments during the month

The problem with that is my Due Date is due 2 days before the Statement closing date.

(Or am I confusing the Due date and Statement dates? I tend to get that confused alot not sure why)

Message 5 of 20
MT936
Established Contributor

statement close date is when the billing cycle is over for the month, due date is when the payment is due by, it is usually 3weeks after statement close date

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 6 of 20
TheFate
Established Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

statement close date is when the billing cycle is over for the month, due date is when the payment is due by, it is usually 3weeks after statement close date

Ok I got it down.

How many days do you guys usually start making new purchases after the card has reported and you have PIF already?

Message 7 of 20
Bman70
Established Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

Utilization for scoring only refers to what the credit bureaus see. So you can charge all the way to your limit, as long as you have it down to 1-9% before the statement cuts. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 8 of 20
MT936
Established Contributor

I continue charging, it's probably not the best idea but I don't spend much so I tend to always keep under 15%

Message 9 of 20
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Utilization for scoring only refers to what the credit bureaus see. So you can charge all the way to your limit, as long as you have it down to 1-9% before the statement cuts. 

I don't like charging more than 20% due to the fact when I first got my Capital One Promo no interest for 12 months I almost maxed it out and it reported the highest balance which was $470/$500 (Which is still there till this day on my report). I think lenders could see that even if you do bring your UTI down which doesen't look good in my opinon

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.