cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best card for people new to credit?

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: Whats the best card for people new to credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One has a student Journey card and they approved me with no credit history at all. I would give that a shot. I started with a $500 limit and it even gives 1% cashback. I was in the credit steps program and after my 6th statement cut, I was bumped up to $750. After that you probably wont see any more increases because Capital One is conservative, but they'll approve you when no one else will. I would suggest getting that and using it for 6 months to 1 year and then applying for a better card. It's been 9 months since I opened that card and since I've been able to get Amex Zync, Discover More, and Bank of America Cash Rewards. Good luck!

EDIT: They actually don't ask for any student information on the application so people who aren't students can get this card as well. My mom got it when she was rebuilding and had no revolving credit. Just throwing that out there for people who aren't students, but have little to no credit history or damaged history Smiley Happy

Are you saying that based on the fact that you had CapOne CC open for 9 months was your gateway to get AMEX Zync, Discover More and BoA? did you have any baddies? or previous late-payment history or no?

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2NE1 wrote:

Are you saying that based on the fact that you had CapOne CC open for 9 months was your gateway to get AMEX Zync, Discover More and BoA? did you have any baddies? or previous late-payment history or no?

I'm 19, and a college student. I didn't have history before them at all. No student loans or anything. It was my first card. I had to recon the Bank of America, but Discover More and Zync were instant online. 

Message 12 of 15
jon17brown
Valued Member

Well i have a secured cap1 reporting for three months and an unsecured cap1 reporting for 1. Im SO impatient!!

Message 13 of 15
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Consider looking at the Citi Forward for Students. Its a very good overall card. Check out some other Student cards from other banks as well.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 14 of 15
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Garden with what you have right now. 2 Tradelines is enough to get your credit history started, all you need right now is some time to age those accounts. Don't worry about your limits this early on, focus on paying everything on time and in full. Once you have a year of credit history under your belt it sould be much easier to get approvals.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.