cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best card for people new to credit?

tag
jon17brown
Valued Member

Whats the best card for people new to credit?

Besides a secured card or a capitol one card, what is the best card to app for without any credit history?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Whats the best card for people new to credit?

Probably a credit union card. You could visit one and let them know what your situation is before getting started with a credit pull.

Do you happen to be a student?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Are you a student?  If so I would check out some of the student cards available.  That or a card through your primary bank for checking are good places to start.  Or pick out a good credit union and try through them. 

Message 3 of 15
jon17brown
Valued Member

Im not a student but i plan to be in the fall. Is it not ok to say that I AM a student if I will be in 4 months??

Message 4 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I would say if you're accepted to a college/uni and are kind of set to start in the fall then...meh, sure.  Back when I got my Chase student card I really don't remember there being any sort of verification process but that might have changed.  If it seems ethically dubious feel free to wait until you got books in hand.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

Look up student cards then. Discover is a good option.

Not sure how the actual process works, but I'm sure once you have been "accepted" into the school and you are matriculated/enrolled (spanish is making my mind crazy right now for the right word in english), you are a student.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 15
jon17brown
Valued Member

Yeah i tried for the Discover student card and they said I was denied because of no credit history. I asked them isn't that what student cards are for?? All she said was i'm sorry you can not be approved at this time. I dont get it.

Message 7 of 15
namvet
Established Contributor

@jon17brown wrote:

Besides a secured card or a capitol one card, what is the best card to app for without any credit history?

Best to start your credit at your local bank or credit union. 

Message 8 of 15
frogfan12
Established Contributor

As long as you're 18, they won't really check to see if you actually are a student. I got my first CC shortly after I turned 18 and I had just graduated from high school. You just need to have sufficient income and you'll be good.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One has a student Journey card and they approved me with no credit history at all. I would give that a shot. I started with a $500 limit and it even gives 1% cashback. I was in the credit steps program and after my 6th statement cut, I was bumped up to $750. After that you probably wont see any more increases because Capital One is conservative, but they'll approve you when no one else will. I would suggest getting that and using it for 6 months to 1 year and then applying for a better card. It's been 9 months since I opened that card and since I've been able to get Amex Zync, Discover More, and Bank of America Cash Rewards. Good luck!

EDIT: They actually don't ask for any student information on the application so people who aren't students can get this card as well. My mom got it when she was rebuilding and had no revolving credit. Just throwing that out there for people who aren't students, but have little to no credit history or damaged history Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.