cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best way to save with cc's?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats the best way to save with cc's?

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
Those CC rewards are like coupon-less coupons. Plus, you can use the coupons, too! I've also never seen a perpetual coupon for 5% off my gasoline purchases. I will keep doing what I need to do to get my rewards!

Are you getting the 5% on gas on a PenFed card? If not, which card?

Thanks,

Message 11 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

Those CC rewards are like coupon-less coupons. Plus, you can use the coupons, too! I've also never seen a perpetual coupon for 5% off my gasoline purchases. I will keep doing what I need to do to get my rewards!

Thanks,

PenFed, and I am extremely happy with them.
Message 12 of 21
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

Thanks,

I didn't qualify for a PenFed, so I get 6% back with a Citi Driver's Edge or 5% back at BP with the BP Visa. The Driver's Edge is no longer offered, but if you have a Citi you might be able to product change to it. The reason it's so high is that you can redeem driven miles for points, but you have to match those miles with spending.
Message 13 of 21
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

Thanks,

I just apped PenFed a few days ago. I joined a couple of weeks ago but didn't app at that time because I was waiting for some zero balances to hit.

I am an RN working only part-time because I am in my last year of schooling to be a Nurse Practitioner (retirement career!). When I called PenFed about something else, they (of course) wanted me to apply. I told them that I have fairly low income for the next 9 months, so we decided to put my DH on the app as well. I just got a ScoreWatch alert that PenFed pulled EQ on him two days ago. We had to send in IRS documents because my DH is self-employed.

We'll see what they do...but I'm looking forward to those rewards if we're approved.

I am a reward card junkie and would like to get rid of my cards that don't have rewards...but, after reading here I haven't done that. I just barely use those cards.

I have no idea what the best rewards card is out there. When I saw the title of this thread...that's the first thing that came to my mind. Rewards...that is the best way to save with cc's.

Message 14 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

@LynetteM wrote:

Thanks,

I just apped PenFed a few days ago. I joined a couple of weeks ago but didn't app at that time because I was waiting for some zero balances to hit.

I am an RN working only part-time because I am in my last year of schooling to be a Nurse Practitioner (retirement career!). When I called PenFed about something else, they (of course) wanted me to apply. I told them that I have fairly low income for the next 9 months, so we decided to put my DH on the app as well. I just got a ScoreWatch alert that PenFed pulled EQ on him two days ago. We had to send in IRS documents because my DH is self-employed.

We'll see what they do...but I'm looking forward to those rewards if we're approved.

I am a reward card junkie and would like to get rid of my cards that don't have rewards...but, after reading here I haven't done that. I just barely use those cards.

I have no idea what the best rewards card is out there. When I saw the title of this thread...that's the first thing that came to my mind. Rewards...that is the best way to save with cc's.

Unfortunately the credit pull that is going to be used for you is the one obtained at the time of your membership app. There is nothing you can do about that. They will not make another pull until the 60-90 day period elapses. Hopefully the other credit pull will satisfy them. If you can clear the bar for one of their unsecured credit products they are wonderful!

Message 15 of 21
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately the credit pull that is going to be used for you is the one obtained at the time of your membership app. There is nothing you can do about that. They will not make another pull until the 60-90 day period elapses. Hopefully the other credit pull will satisfy them. If you can clear the bar for one of their unsecured credit products they are wonderful!

You're right...there has been no new pull for me. Oh, well. My hubby's pull will show the zero balances. Who knows how much they actually compare them.

We're pretty skittish about apping because of my DH's self-employed status. I hope this hasn't all been for nothing. Sometimes it's not worth the work.

Message 16 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

You're right...there has been no new pull for me. Oh, well. My hubby's pull will show the zero balances. Who knows how much they actually compare them.

We're pretty skittish about apping because of my DH's self-employed status. I hope this hasn't all been for nothing. Sometimes it's not worth the work.

PenFed can be a real PITA for self-employed folks. You're going to have to let us know how this turns out.
Message 17 of 21
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
In my view utility bills, groceries and such don't belong on credit cards. Why have another layer of payment issues involved paying everything with a card, especially bills. People have fallen in love with 'rewards', but a couple of goof ups or getting overextended will wipe out that 2-3% reward. When bills come in they get paid immediately from my CU bill payer, they don't go on a CC. Day to day stuff is paid in CASH so I don't have to think about the bills coming in later. To each their own. Use what works for you.

I disagree, I think utility bills are perfect for rewards cards. The biggest pitfall of rewards cards is getting so into the idea that spending makes you money it causes you to buy extra junk you don't need. (which is pretty much the whole point, as far as the CCCs are concerned) But who on earth would say "Ooh, if I waste more electricity I'll get more rewards!"

Message 18 of 21
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Not to argue with your philosophy, but to understand it.

My monthly utilitis and groceries and such about $1500. Paying with rewards card gives me at least $15/mos back, which is $180/year, which provides my kids with videogames. Why would I give it up?

@Watchmann wrote:
In my view utility bills, groceries and such don't belong on credit cards.  Why have another layer of payment issues involved paying everything with a card, especially bills.  People have fallen in love with 'rewards', but a couple of goof ups or getting overextended will wipe out that 2-3% reward.  When bills come in they get paid immediately from my CU bill payer, they don't go on a CC.  Day to day stuff is paid in CASH so I don't have to think about the bills coming in later.  To each their own.  Use what works for you. 

Message Edited by wmarat on 08-27-2009 11:07 AM
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 19 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Watchmann wrote:
In my view utility bills, groceries and such don't belong on credit cards.  Why have another layer of payment issues involved paying everything with a card, especially bills.  People have fallen in love with 'rewards', but a couple of goof ups or getting overextended will wipe out that 2-3% reward.  When bills come in they get paid immediately from my CU bill payer, they don't go on a CC.  Day to day stuff is paid in CASH so I don't have to think about the bills coming in later.  To each their own.  Use what works for you. 

I see your point, and as you say, "To each their own. Use what works for you."

As someone who doesn't handle paper well, I've found that paying my accounts once a month (as was done back in my grandmother's day) works best for me. When my grandmother was running her family back in the 1920's and 30's, the corner grocer carried her account on a piece of paper, and she settled up on payday. Now my CCC's carry my accounts on line, and I settle up two days before the statement date. Same thing.

Oddly, I'm incredibly methodical at work, but it somehow doesn't carry over at home. Smiley Tongue

After reading it enough times, including on this thread, I am going to go ahead and set up all my accounts so that they will automatically draft the minimum balance plus $10 a week before the due date, just in case I'm hit by a bus. As bad as I am, the rest of the family is worse, and I do see the potential for all hell breaking loose if I were somehow incapacitated.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.