Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the point of Amex Green?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats the point of Amex Green?

I have an Amex Green and a Blue Cash Preferred. Just trying to figure out why it would be beneficial to keep both once my annual fee comes around? I really do like the look of the Amex Green and have used the roadside assistance when I locked myself out of my car on vacation, but daily spending is on the BCP in order to get the most cash back. Thoughts please?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Re: Whats the point of Amex Green?

We had the Green, but shut it down when we got the BC Preferred. Didn't make cents (pun intended) to keep both.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It really depends on your spending, and what rewards youre after. I also have a blue cash preferred, but I prefer to use my PR Gold for the MR points. But, I travel alot, so that comes in handy. If the cash back is more beneficial to you, then close the green. If the MR points are more beneficial, keep the green and use it.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, kinda what I expected. I don't travel enough for the MR points and I probably spend a little short of the 30k to get the 15,000 point bonus if I switched to the PR Gold. Only reason I like the green is the looks and roadside assistance, but I can do without the looks and $50 a year gets me AAA. Anyone else want to chime in for a reason to keep the green?
Message 4 of 10
Ron1
Super Contributor

I don't think you have any advantage to keep the Green. PR Gold/Gold got more than benefits than Green. Gold has more spending more power than Green when you need it.  Last week, PR Gold helped me to rent hotel room and rent  rental cars twice within a day because of the delayed flight.  I think upgrading to the Gold is worth it. 

Ron.

Message 5 of 10
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

I carry multiple AMEX cards simply for the AAOA since it is an old tradeline. 

So I pay $ to keep my AAOA high Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
anderl
Frequent Contributor

+6

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 7 of 10
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

From a rewards aspect, any AMEX credit card, minus clear, is better.

From a perks aspect, any other AMEX charge card, to include Zync, is better.

In my opinion, Green is antiquated and useless.

Message 8 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

Only reason to have the Green is if you want full MR points, but don't need the added benefits of the higher fee cards.  Zync while having a lower fee structure is only MR Express points, which are inherently less valuable than full MR Points.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scuba wrote:

I carry multiple AMEX cards simply for the AAOA since it is an old tradeline. 

So I pay $ to keep my AAOA high Smiley Very Happy

+1

I mean I have other reasons to carry the Blue Cash and the PR Gold but the backdating to 91 is def worth paying for IMHO.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the OP's question.

If It were me tho, I would keep the Green or PC to the Gold or PR Gold if it fits your lifestyle.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.