cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the reason for having an Amex card?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats the reason for having an Amex card?

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lonerower wrote:

I would like to start off that I am neutral in my feelings for Amex.  I just want to know if I am missing out on not having one?  I searched these boards and found a few answers but wanted to get a fresh opinion.

I have scores in low to mid 700's and steadily improving.  No BK history.  I have income of 85k.  I don't think I qualify for the NPSL card which seems to me like an alternative to a debit card or check book for high dollar monthly spenders.

Well for me i like 3x sp cli they offer , MSD to pad AAOA, extended warranty on purchases. Some of those cards with NPSL are MR cards so you can acquire MR points with an pretty nice signup bonus 

+1

What's the reason to not have one revolver and one charge?  I have never seen a downside.

Their Charge cards from what I can tell all have Af's and that alone is a downside for me ... Personally the only Card with an AF I am considering long term is the CSP 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 31 of 51
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I have 4 AMEX cards but my primary is AMEX Platinum. 

Customer service, conceirge, return protection, extended warranty.. ( though lot other cards give the same benefits.)

Message 32 of 51
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

@lonerower wrote:

Thanks for all the information.  Do you use their website to book travel(hotel and airfare) or do you just have to use the card to pay to get the travel benefits?

Can I start out with a PIF charge card or do I have to get a credit card with them first?

What is 3x CLI?  

The travel benefits are no matter how you book, but if you book on their site (with AMEX ED ) then you get 2X points. 

I don't really know if the charge cards are easier or not. I have "ok" credit, and was approved for the credit card at 10K - you can get either at any time. I didnt want an annual fee, so I went revolver. 

its when they increase your CL 3X after 61 days (upon request)

Message 33 of 51
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:
I wouldn't take that Card.... Costco accepts any Amex card and wouldn't want to be stuck with a card that requires you to have a costco membership. 

If we were to cancel membership at Costco, the TrueEarnings card would cancel with it? Has it been verified that the TrueEarnings card never stands alone with Costco?

IDK but You need a costco membership to actually apply for the card .... I would rather get the BCE or Everyday card if your looking for a no AF card with decent rewards and to shop at costco 

Are the rewards better than the 3% offered by TrueEarnings? I already have cards for travel, amazon, groceries.

We don't shop there often because my wife's favorite grocery store is two blocks from where she works. Costco is on opposite side of home a few miles. It's only two of us now in the house. Bulk like coffee, TP, paper towels, soaps we buy from Amazon. We do use the some of the nice Costco coupons that come in the mail.

To the other poster.... gas was $3.65 before rebate, I believe. I never ask for a receipt.

If you get the Business version of the True Earnings credit card, its 4% instead of 3%...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 34 of 51
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lonerower wrote:

I would like to start off that I am neutral in my feelings for Amex.  I just want to know if I am missing out on not having one?  I searched these boards and found a few answers but wanted to get a fresh opinion.

I have scores in low to mid 700's and steadily improving.  No BK history.  I have income of 85k.  I don't think I qualify for the NPSL card which seems to me like an alternative to a debit card or check book for high dollar monthly spenders.

Well for me i like 3x sp cli they offer , MSD to pad AAOA, extended warranty on purchases. Some of those cards with NPSL are MR cards so you can acquire MR points with an pretty nice signup bonus 

+1

What's the reason to not have one revolver and one charge?  I have never seen a downside.

Their Charge cards from what I can tell all have Af's and that alone is a downside for me ... Personally the only Card with an AF I am considering long term is the CSP 

It depends on what you value in reward programs, UR or MR. With any AF cc, you must be able to recoup the benefits without 'spending'outside your comfort level.  If you know your spending pattern, you should be able to determine if the sign up bonus and the reward structure works for you.  
I prefer having both programs because I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket.  The UR program is fine with 50-60 % of my spend ie dining, rotating categories but the other portion I use Amex.  For their charge cards,  large purchases that won't clog up my CL's and reimbursable business expenses are key for me.  The AF on both my PRG and newly acquired Plat will pay for itself with moderate usage. 
Message 35 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jumping on this thread late, and some/all of these may have been mentioned, but:

1. Sign up bonuses (wife just completed her third sequential PRG card getting 75K, 50K and 50K MRP respectively, redeemed for useful gift cards)
2. Acceptance at CostCo
3. Annual Small Business Saturday gives a statement credit per card ($10 last year, $25 in previous years)
4. AmEx Offers $x on $y at various retailers. Between these and the SBS credits, in the last year we've received more than $350 on our four AmEx cards)

Chris.

Message 36 of 51
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

There not better but BCE offers 2% on Gas and personally I would't touch the Costco Amex card since you need to be a member to eithe Waive the AF or even have the card. Remember the Amex Cash back comes in as a check for Costco use.

I am also a huge user of Amazon but the prices to me seem way better at costco.

Well, if I don't pay costco annual fee, I can't fill at their pump. So I plan on staying a member, it's sound like TE is the better card. 

It's not just the 3% TE get me, it's the price of the gas itself that is the bargain. There are other stations that are close in price to costco gas, but they don't take any plastic.

As for shopping at Amazon we always use "Subscribe and Save". Choose 5 items per month and save up to 15% per order.  Yes, you still always need to check out there for better prices, but consistantly overall, Amazon has done a good job. Remember to shop smile.amazon.com to help your charity! Smiley Very Happy

Message 37 of 51
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

Was an AU on an AMEX Plat, then Delta Gold for a year, now I have their BCP card (and a new CSP card).

Yeah, the CSP is my coolest card now - but AMEX is better in many ways as a company. Their customer service is incredible based on experience and its partly the reason I chose to get another AMEX card when I canceled my Delta and got the CSP. It's good to have in your wallet.

----- QS: $10k ------ CF: $14k ------- BCP: $15k ------- CSP: $24k ------ AMEXPlat ----
Message 38 of 51
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

This may sound silly and shallow, but I've always wanted an AMEX just to have an AMEX.  After having discovered the myfico community, of course I learned about their generous credit limits and backdating, which are great for credit reports.  In my personal experience dealing with the customer service, though, I have found it relatively lacking compared with Chase and Discover. 

I recently lost my wallet and it took AMEX 20-25 min and 3 personnel transfers to get me my card cancelled and reissued.  Discover did it in 1 minute.

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 39 of 51
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lonerower wrote:

+1

It depends on what you value in reward programs, UR or MR. With any AF cc, you must be able to recoup the benefits without 'spending'outside your comfort level.  If you know your spending pattern, you should be able to determine if the sign up bonus and the reward structure works for you.  
I prefer having both programs because I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket.  The UR program is fine with 50-60 % of my spend ie dining, rotating categories but the other portion I use Amex.  For their charge cards,  large purchases that won't clog up my CL's and reimbursable business expenses are key for me.  The AF on both my PRG and newly acquired Plat will pay for itself with moderate usage. 

I guess YMMV for AMEX love... but for me my normal spend on the charge card yields me from $300-500 in Gift Cards in December.  Takes care of most of my Christmas gifting much of the extended family.  The AF pays for itself.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.