tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats your Favorite Credit Card?

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Sallie Mae Barclaycard World MasterCard: I've only had this card since February, but I seem to use it more than any other card in my wallet, mostly because my largest spend categories are gas and groceries.  In essence, it's nearly a perfect card for my spending habits and I really appreciate how user friendly the website and mobile app are, how transparent they are with the point values for each transaction and how easy it is to redeem those points, and the free FICO score is just icing on the cake!  Truly a gem of a card and I'm so happy to have learned of it here.

If the Sallie Mae Card didn't cap at $250 every month, THEN it would be a gem.

It still is a gem. Name one other card where you get 5% at gas, supermarket, and Amazon plus a free fico score. You can't. 

But I could name a card that gives 5% cash back on all purchases for the first $5000 each year of purchases. And unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases after that...

PS: forgot to mention it has no annual fee, and 12 months intro 0% APR. And its a World Elite Mastercard.

im sorry but how is % back rewards to buy a gm car considered CASH BACK?

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 81 of 134
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Sallie Mae Barclaycard World MasterCard: I've only had this card since February, but I seem to use it more than any other card in my wallet, mostly because my largest spend categories are gas and groceries.  In essence, it's nearly a perfect card for my spending habits and I really appreciate how user friendly the website and mobile app are, how transparent they are with the point values for each transaction and how easy it is to redeem those points, and the free FICO score is just icing on the cake!  Truly a gem of a card and I'm so happy to have learned of it here.

If the Sallie Mae Card didn't cap at $250 every month, THEN it would be a gem.

It still is a gem. Name one other card where you get 5% at gas, supermarket, and Amazon plus a free fico score. You can't. 

But I could name a card that gives 5% cash back on all purchases for the first $5000 each year of purchases. And unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases after that...

PS: forgot to mention it has no annual fee, and 12 months intro 0% APR. And its a World Elite Mastercard.

im sorry but how is % back rewards to buy a gm car considered CASH BACK?

I don't have a lot of experience with buying cars, but I'd imagine this gets even blurrier when you take into account that car prices are often very negotiable, is it possible that if the dealer knows you're getting a discount from this credit card they won't give a further discount, etc.. I don't know, but that would be a concern for me.

That's not even considering that a lot of us don't want or need a new car anytime soon and even if we did, maybe it wouldn't be GM.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 82 of 134
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:
How is visa debit cards a pain? Ive never had any issue. you buy in stores and swipe like any other visa card on the market.

Search FT for a link. Still available but hurry while supplies last.

Anyways I dont understand why people get excited with cards offering capped earnings when the BC can earn hundred$$$ a month in cashback.

They are a pain for a couple of reasons. First i always seem to have issues with them at the gas stations. Second, they are  a pain to use online like if theres 50 dollars on the card and your trying to buy something for 60. Also, its another card to have to worry about, I already have enough in my wallet. 

And for big purchases you lose the credit card protections.   Yes, gas stations, hotels and some restaurants will put big holds on the card.  

But I'm with Fico2Go that capped rewards aren't all that exciting.

For me they are exciting. Salle mae fits my spending perfectly. Everyones situation is different. 

Agreed.  For me, I'm not in the spending range where a cap would ever matter, and I'm not into manufactured spending, so Sallie Mae is awesome.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 83 of 134
ddemari
Super Contributor

Bank of American Cash Rewards Visa

Second, Quicksilver capitalone. 

Message 84 of 134
jaeproc
Contributor

Amex bce !!!   Awesome customer service, love the cash back, and awesome 3xcli in 61 days of account opening.  Just an awesome card that will definitely grow with you, as long as you treat her right!!!!.  

Message 85 of 134
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jaeproc wrote:

Amex bce !!!   Awesome customer service, love the cash back, and awesome 3xcli in 61 days of account opening.  Just an awesome card that will definitely grow with you, as long as you treat her right!!!!.  

But,,,,

1) Sallie Mae has much better rewards on those categories (with the exception of department stores) and adds bookstores including Amazon

2) If you want an Amex (backdating, 3xCLI etc) the Amex Everyday is also no AF and has rewards that can have more value than the BCE.

Message 86 of 134
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

I would say the Southwest Rapid Rewards from Chase mainly because I got 3 free roundtrip flights for TWO people from it and with points left ever within six months.  All from signing up and some decent spend.

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 87 of 134
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

Sallie Mae beats the boa card every which way. I do like cap one quicksilver. Capital one has treated me right and the rewards are very easy to use. Yes fid amex gets 2% back but having to open up the account and having to have a certain amount to touch your rewards and not every place takes Amex like they would a visa or mastercard. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Message 88 of 134
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jaeproc wrote:

But,,,,

1) Sallie Mae has much better rewards on those categories (with the exception of department stores) and adds bookstores including Amazon

2) If you want an Amex (backdating, 3xCLI etc) the Amex Everyday is also no AF and has rewards that can have more value than the BCE.

I would still stick with the bce as a backup for sallie Mae. I think the freedom csp combo is better than the Mr points at Amex. 

Message 89 of 134
jaeproc
Contributor

But,,, I don't have the sallie mae or the everyday card Mr lurker lol. I have the cap one quicksilver card which is garbage, discover it, its ok depending on the quarter your in, and a barclays reward mastercard. Not one of those cards has done what my bce has done and I've only had the card for 4 months!!!!! And it's already my highest limit. Just my opinion but, so far amex is definitely **bleep**ting on barclays!!! Excuse language lol.
Message 90 of 134
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.