cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats your Opinion on Fairwinds visa card?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Whats your Opinion on Fairwinds visa card?

Is it difficult to get approval? I have one unpaid collection on my file.Is Fairwinds very conservative about giving credit to a person with only a single, 2 year old collection? The collection is really 6.5 years old but was resold.They will not agree to a pay and delete.Is Fairwinds hard on people in my situation?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Whats your Opinion on Fairwinds visa card?

Back to the garden with you. Every week you've come up with a new card to app for. You should wait for inquiries to age off. I don't know about this card though.
AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 15
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Jlu wrote:
"Back to the garden with you"

Six of the worse words ever said!!

Goal 750 Across

Message 3 of 15
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

Is it difficult to get approval? I have one unpaid collection on my file.Is Fairwinds very conservative about giving credit to a person with only a single, 2 year old collection? The collection is really 6.5 years old but was resold.They will not agree to a pay and delete.Is Fairwinds hard on people in my situation?

im not too sure about the card but as far as the collection is concerned, have you posted in the Rebuilding section for advice? im pretty sure even if the debt was "re-sold" they CANNOT change the DOFD of the account, which in your case means it HAS to come off in another 6months or so. i would just wait for it to fall of before apping for anything to ensure good approvals

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

I'm certain it was meant in a joking fashion; however, I would strongly encourage you to come up with a plan, and figure out what you want and then go for it.  I've noticed what Jlu did as well, you are interested in collecting cards from pretty much anyone... when realistically for most people beyond 4ish rewards category cards, the rest just sit idle and are mostly irrelevant both to their financial lives and FICO score as well.

In any event, I'd recommend analyzing your current and expected future spending pattern (call it 2-3 years out) and then look at cards in the short and mid-term categories for acquisition based on that.  I'd also suggest figuring out if you're planning on a car or a house anywhere during that timeline, and factoring that in: namely, no apps 6-12 months before either.

I know waiting rather sucks, but FICO and lending approvals are a part of the old guard that's highly resistant to our current instant-gratification culture.  You won't do yourself any favors longer-term by accepting random unnecessary cards (there's plenty of examples to be found on this forum of that), and you may well wind up damaging your report for a non-trivial amount of time.  Re-evaluate what you need vs. what you want, and then go from there.  Brightly colored bits of plastic are far less important than many other things in life, and in today's world, FICO is one of those things.

        
Message 5 of 15
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

I'm certain it was meant in a joking fashion; however, I would strongly encourage you to come up with a plan, and figure out what you want and then go for it.  I've noticed what Jlu did as well, you are interested in collecting cards from pretty much anyone... when realistically for most people beyond 4ish rewards category cards, the rest just sit idle and are mostly irrelevant both to their financial lives and FICO score as well.

In any event, I'd recommend analyzing your current and expected future spending pattern (call it 2-3 years out) and then look at cards in the short and mid-term categories for acquisition based on that.  I'd also suggest figuring out if you're planning on a car or a house anywhere during that timeline, and factoring that in: namely, no apps 6-12 months before either.

I know waiting rather sucks, but FICO and lending approvals are a part of the old guard that's highly resistant to our current instant-gratification culture.  You won't do yourself any favors longer-term by accepting random unnecessary cards (there's plenty of examples to be found on this forum of that), and you may well wind up damaging your report for a non-trivial amount of time.  Re-evaluate what you need vs. what you want, and then go from there.  Brightly colored bits of plastic are far less important than many other things in life, and in today's world, FICO is one of those things.

Excellent advice Revelate! I would strongly suggest that OP follow this ^^^^^ advice

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 15
Jlu
Established Contributor

^+1 again. What I would have said if I wasn't typing on an iPad.

I hate typing on these things. 

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 15
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

im not too sure about the card but as far as the collection is concerned, have you posted in the Rebuilding section for advice? im pretty sure even if the debt was "re-sold" they CANNOT change the DOFD of the account, which in your case means it HAS to come off in another 6months or so. i would just wait for it to fall of before apping for anything to ensure good approvals

I too had no idea a unpaid collection could be bought and re-reported with a different age of debt.Apparently its legal.Spoke to Eqifax and Experian and both explain to me that the practise is indeed legal.You can imagine the disappointent I had in learning about this. The debt still dies seven years after the first reported date of late payment. The change of date rule simply gives incentive for collection agencies to buy bad unpaid debts, by making the debt seem new. I would love to find out that this is illegal.More than likely I will have no other choice but to wait.

Goal 750 Across

Message 8 of 15
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

Thanks for your very thoughtful words.Yes,waiting does suck and by nature i'm not the most patient of people.I view myself as a problem solver and that probably explain why I haven't given up. Many of the things you touched on hold true in my eyes.I have lately been willing to opt for any card as long as it offers a certain levels of perks and gave my credit file a leg up compared to it's current state. That is the reason why I have been considering apping with a Credit Union such as Alliant. I agree with you at the end of the day the best thing to fix my credit report will be time. What motivates me to even try and add a Credit card before the six months when the collection falls off is the reality of how strange credit can work. Derogs in a credit file can be marginally weighed just like good history of payments  can be seem as being not good enough. There is not allways a consistant formula for approvals. I have no doubt my situation would be enhanced greatly by waiting till march when the collection falls off.Will probably have to do just that.Maybe my probablem is i have far too much optimism for my own goodSmiley Happy

Goal 750 Across

Message 9 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MountainHiker wrote:

Thanks for your very thoughtful words.Yes,waiting does suck and by nature i'm not the most patient of people.I view myself as a problem solver and that probably explain why I haven't given up. Many of the things you touched on hold true in my eyes.I have lately been willing to opt for any card as long as it offers a certain levels of perks and gave my credit file a leg up compared to it's current state. That is the reason why I have been considering apping with a Credit Union such as Alliant. I agree with you at the end of the day the best thing to fix my credit report will be time. What motivates me to even try and add a Credit card before the six months when the collection falls off is the reality of how strange credit can work. Derogs in a credit file can be marginally weighed just like good history of payments  can be seem as being not good enough. There is not allways a consistant formula for approvals. I have no doubt my situation would be enhanced greatly by waiting till march when the collection falls off.Will probably have to do just that.Maybe my probablem is i have far too much optimism for my own goodSmiley Happy

My general theory on collections: if it's paid and that old, you can apply now.  If it's unpaid, wait till it falls off.  Think of it as building character Smiley Happy.  I think though you're also saddled with short history, and don't discount the benefits both to FICO and underwriting that another six months brings.  The rational choice if you don't absolutely need the credit card (and by such I mean it'll save you non-trivial money right now or allow you to do something you can't currently) is absolutely to wait in this case; however, humans in general aren't the most rational creatures and I know personally I'm no exception to that.

Alliant CU has a good reputation to my knowledge on the forums, and I think it's worth cultivating relationships with a few CU's as they offer some things that larger banks often do not.  I'm debating changing my plans now and including SDFCU as they might have a secured card with no-forex and I'd rather go with that than a Cap One secured.  Our lives change, so any plan you make needs to be flexible, and having different lender options is always a bonus.

If I remember your threads, Alliant is probably your best bet out of the ones you've asked about.

Longer term you'll be OK, it's simply difficult to learn patience on these forums when we see approval after approval talked about, and even I sit back and think "if they can get it why can't I?"  before once again realizing I'm nowhere close to FICO pretty.   If I start getting really twitchy I simply take a break from the forum for a few days and I find that helps.  This forum is a tremendous source of information, but it can also be one of temptation too even if wary.

        
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.