Message 31 of 51
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Re: Whats your combo?

My signature with the following additions

- Penfed Cash Rewards Visa
- U.S. Bank Cash +
- Chase Freedom
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 32 of 51
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

I'll play. My preferred lineup:

Discover It (5% categories, notably fuel and restaurants)

AmEx BCP/E (6%/3% groceries, 3%/2% fuel when not 'in season' with 5% categories)
Chase Freedom (5% categories, notably fuel and restaurants)

Chase Sapphire Preferred (2% Travel, 2% Dining when not 'in season' with 5% categories)

I will pick up the Freedom and BCP early-mid next year, as I have no real reason for them right now due to my work situation (plus I expect a nice score bump over the next couple of months), and anything picked up after that will be strictly for signup bonuses.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 33 of 51
WJL
New Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe

Can you share what number you called and your convo with Cap1 to get your limit increased? I have the same card that started at $500 and is currently sitting at $1,000. I was contemplating getting rid of it b/c I never really expected the card ever get a large limit since Orchard told me it was a card to help people build credit, but if I can get to where you are, I'd be happy to keep it! Thanks in advance!

Message 34 of 51
lithium78
Established Contributor

I use two cards in heavy rotation: BOA 123 Cash Rewards Visa and Discover it. I also have a Walmart Discover which I use about once a month to keep it active (and use sparingly otherwise because the rewards are terrible) and a no-rewards, no-fee Cap One Platinum that I keep hanging around for AAoA. I don't really need more credit at this time and I don't spend enough to make something like CSP cost effective.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 35 of 51
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:
I use two cards in heavy rotation: BOA 123 Cash Rewards Visa and Discover it. I also have a Walmart Discover which I use about once a month to keep it active (and use sparingly otherwise because the rewards are terrible) and a no-rewards, no-fee Cap One Platinum that I keep hanging around for AAoA. I don't really need more credit at this time and I don't spend enough to make something like CSP cost effective.

Nice combo ... i just have the urge to have 1 type of each card .... im still debating to cut the Sapphire out my wallet totally because its a what if card... i dont dine in restaurants often or travel often to put it to frequent use so i would say any other rewrads card could handle either of those since i dont do them that often to lower my overall card wallet after that i just want one of each type of card.... Amex, Discover, Visa, Visa Signature and Mastercard the Mastercard i have already its the QuickSilverOne but i think i would want to talk to Cap1 about getting it w/o an AF...Because i prefer to have the MC but i dont want to be stuck with the annual fee forever...

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 36 of 51
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

My combo is similar to OPs.  It's in my signature.

Message 37 of 51
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@WJL wrote:

@@daybreakgonesXe

Can you share what number you called and your convo with Cap1 to get your limit increased? I have the same card that started at $500 and is currently sitting at $1,000. I was contemplating getting rid of it b/c I never really expected the card ever get a large limit since Orchard told me it was a card to help people build credit, but if I can get to where you are, I'd be happy to keep it! Thanks in advance!

I actually didn't call any number, but e-mailed the CEO of Cap One. I'll PM you the e-mail address, since it is not to be posted publicly in the forums! And I'd be happy to PM you a sample e-mail as well!

Also, if you happen to have a Facebook, you can also message them with the same information! The social media team are very efficient and quick to escalating your concerns! Good luck!

Message 38 of 51
Open123
Super Contributor

Here's what I use.

1.  SPG - all domestic non-bonus spending.

2.  JPM Ritz - all Ritz, personal airline, and forex spending.

3.  Sapphire - all dining, except abroad where I'll use the Ritz or HSBC Premier.

4.  Ink Plus - all cellphone, gas, and business travel.

5.  BCP - Groceries and GCs (some for charity auctions, buy for friends & associates, and personal use).

6.  Blue for Business - all non-bonus business spending.

7.  Amex Bus Platinum - for benefits and some oversees vendors.

That's about it.  Wish I could boil it down to just 4.

I have other cards which are remnants of a sign up bonus of some kind, e.g., Discover, US Cash+, and Barclay cards.  These cards get very little use, if any at all.  For shopdiscover, I use my SPG.  For US Bank Cash+, just PC'ed from Flexperks.  And, the Barclays are all sign-up bonuses, which I'll purge once the 6 month clawback period has passed.  It sounds great in theory to use the 5% cash cards, but I never use them.  For simplicity's sake, I just may end up closing all the cash cards.

Since I CreditScholar observed some good value redemptions in SE Asia, I may add some Hilton cards, in which case I'd probably cancel the BCP.  

Message 39 of 51
mmoon24
Valued Member

Chase Freedom: 5% on rotations and 10 + 10 on other purchases.

Chase CSP: Dining/Travel

AMEX BCP: 6% back on Groceries, and 3% on gas when Freedom isn't in season

All I need to complete the set is a hotel card. Though I plan to get that at a much later date.

Current Cards:
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (5/2013): CL - $9,900
Chase Freedom (7/2013): CL - $8,700
Chase Freedom (8/2012): CL - $7,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited (7/2007): CL - $3,300
US Bank Cash+ (04/2015): CL - $5,000
Chase Sapphire Reserved (01/2017): CL - $14,000
Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.