Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whats your everyday card?

Barclays Arrival plus... Nice and simple
Message 23 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is pretty new to me. I was used to having 2 cc that were maxed out. Those are now PIF and now I'm using rewards cards to my advantage. I'm still getting in the swing of things but right now here's how I'm spreading out the spending:

Chase Freedom: 5% restaurants

Discover: 5% restaurants (usually the one I use most at work at lunch)

Barclay Rewards: Utilities 2% - water and DirecTV bills

US Bank Cash+: Verizon Wireless bill 5%

AMEX Blue Cash: 3% supermarkets 

BJ's Perks MC: 10 cents off gal/gas and in store purchases

Each quarter these will change with whatever the bank is rotating for the next time. I think I'm going to start picking one card and loading up on it each month. Right now I need to get $1,000 spending for the $100 reward fro AMEX Blue Cash. I need $615 to reach that goal by 6/13. My wife and I are going to pay our car insurance in full for our 6/1 renewal so I'll be putting the $724 on the card and 2 days later paying it off. Since AMEX refuses to give me more than a $2k CL, I'll be picking a different card each month from my arsenal to put the miscellaneous things on and paying it in full before it closes. In June after I'm done with AMEX, I'll be using the QS for the next month. I'm new at this so still tweaking it all. I never want to show more than 1% or 2% usage overall.

Message 24 of 78
Pitt570
New Contributor

so is it normal to use my csp as a everday card??

PSECU $20k | Navy cash rewards $22K | Navchek $15k | BBVA NBA 4.5K | Discover it $1.5K I Chase CSP $12.5K | Cabelas Visa $1K | Chase Slate $3.5k | Lowes $20k || Paypal SC $2K Home depot $8K |Chase united mileage plus explorer 17K | PenFed Promise 12.5K | PenFedPlatinum 20K | Navy Go rewards $4.5K
Message 25 of 78
red259
Super Contributor

@Pitt570 wrote:

Hello everyone i would like to know what you guys choose as your everday card?..also i have been just approved for the csp because the wife and i like to travel and of course im going to be using it all the time for the bonus but after that do you think its still a great card to use everday? we like to make one big trip a year i just would like to know others perspective about it...thanks

I use the Amex Everyday card for all small transactions (to get to my 20) and groccery spend, so this is the card that will come out of my wallet the most. Rest of the cards are based on bonuses Freedom/CSP/Ink cover many categories. Amex SPG for large non-bonus purchases. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 26 of 78
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I have 3 everyday cards:

1.  BoA Cash Rewards World MC (at 9.99% F):  use for the 3x rewards points on gas, 2x on groceries, and 1x on everything else.

2.  FNBO Amex (at 6.25% V):  use for unlimited 1.5x rewards points per dollar.

3.  Cap1 No Hassle Miles MC (at 9.9% V):  use for 2x miles for every $1 purchased.

In my own individual case though, and the reason why I had listed the specific APRs, is because the interest rate matters for me, as the Cap1 card is the only one of the 3 listed above that I PIF.  I also have other rewards cards with relatively low interest rates, but they are not everyday cards for me because I am trying to pay off their existing balances without adding new purchases to them atm.

Message 27 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have two rewards cards so it isn't hard for me to pick my everyday card. I use the QS1 for everything except dining lately, because it is one of the 5% categories with Discover right now. The Cap One platinum has only been used one time since I got it. Man that one was a waste of 3 HPs. I wish I could go back in time and not app for that one.

Message 28 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

What am I missing with the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card...people are mentioning 20 swipes each month but I can't find anything about it on the AMEX website?

Message 29 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

What am I missing with the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card...people are mentioning 20 swipes each month but I can't find anything about it on the AMEX website?

I think that's for Everyday and Everyday Preferred - the MR earning ones, not the cash back ones.

Message 30 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.