cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

tag
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

When I reached 20 cards... lol

Nah, When I was approved for American Express. It was a huge achievement for me, However it took me nearly 3 years to get to this point!

I probably won't apply for anymore credit cards/store cards unless something catches my eye, But this won't be for a while as I'm in the garden trying to age my history and drop those inquiries.

Message 11 of 47
racer-x
Valued Contributor

I think I'm done with obtaining more credit.  One year ago, I had a $500 Cap One card, $750 reserve LOC at US Bank, and a motorcycle loan with HSBC/Cap One.  Since then, I've obtained about 12 new CC accounts with a total  CL over $90k,  financed a new Harley Davidson, and financed 2 used vehicles.  Utilization currently 10% and going down...I carry balances on 3 CC accounts.

I did all that in preparation to buy a house in the summer of next year.  I don't see the need for more credit.  My cards are ok....I'm not somebody that chases rewards so much.  Just nice limits are good for me.

I went a good 10yrs living modestly and with practically no credit...life changes, a job change and personal changes, did the trick.

Message 12 of 47
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I've put a "cap" of 12 cards max. on myself and currently have 8. I'll  hopefully stop when I have: Macy's AMEX (I currently have Macy's store card), 1 Citi Visa/MC, 1 Chase Visa/MC, and EITHER an AMEX revolver OR one of Capital One's upper tier cards.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 13 of 47
bmwatts0386
Established Member

if i dont get the invite to centurion...then ill never be finished Smiley Happy

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 14 of 47
CCspoiledbrat1
Valued Member

Robot tongue  Not settled yet, I'll stop once when I acquire a Citi Card with Travel Rewards(though I have a Shell Gas Card) , a real Amex, Chase and Discover cards. Until then clear a path--------------Hard Work and Dedication with a little Malcom X (by any means necessary)

updated IN THE GARDEN UNTIL: 8/14/14
Cap1$500 |Express$900 |BILLMELATER$500|Shell$200
MarathonGas$200 |NFCUCshRwrdsVisa$2.5K |NFCUGoRwrdsMC$5K
AmazonStore$1.2K |AmazonRewardsVisa$500 |DiscoverIT$500
BUCKLE$500/MACYS CLOSED
Message 15 of 47
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 16 of 47
DBB

For those of you who have moved clearly into the prime world, how long did it take before you:

1. Settled down with the credit cards you have and stopped chasing after credit 

My senior year in college when I actually took an interest in learning about credit.  PC'd BOA Student Platinum Plus to Privileges Cash Rewards and applied for the AMEX Platinum. These are the only two personal cards I ever see myself having, unless I can replace the Platinum with a Centurion one day. 

2. Started receiving pre-approval offers for prime cards?

Roughly after a year of credit history. 

NPSL$20,000
Message 17 of 47
toppers555
Established Contributor

Interesting question.

@DBB wrote:

For those of you who have moved clearly into the prime world, how long did it take before you:

1. Settled down with the credit cards you have and stopped chasing after credit 

My senior year in college when I actually took an interest in learning about credit.  PC'd BOA Student Platinum Plus to Privileges Cash Rewards and applied for the AMEX Platinum. These are the only two personal cards I ever see myself having, unless I can replace the Platinum with a Centurion one day. 

2. Started receiving pre-approval offers for prime cards?

Roughly after a year of credit history. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 18 of 47
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Never!   I'm after the elusive Amex Black & JP Morgan Palladium card so...  Smiley Very Happy

j/k  I don't think I'll ever be able to get either one since my spending/income isn't high enough. lol Smiley Embarassed

Message 19 of 47
Networth
Frequent Contributor

800+ and 4-5 "ultimate" cards for my spending pattern and I'm set. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.