cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

Senior Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?


thom02099 wrote:

azguy13 wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

 

For those of you who have moved clearly into the prime world, how long did it take before you:

 

1. Settled down with the credit cards you have and stopped chasing after credit and

 

2. Started receiving pre-approval offers for prime cards?


1 = When I entered the Garden back in FebruarySmiley Happy

 

2 = Never received any unsolicited, since I'm on the "opt out" list.

 

I think it all comes down to "when is enough, enough?"  Once you break $100K in CL, do you really REALLY need more?    Once you get above that mythical 800 score, can you ever be satisfied?  What to do if you drop BELOW that 800 figure? (GASP!!!!  Smiley Surprised)

 

At some point, we can all get "caught up" in the continual need for more.  Then credit building becomes a competitive sport, and at THAT point, it can become dangerous.  Dangerous in that, we try to "keep up with the Joneses", and outdo others that post their successes.  It's an adrenaline rush, to get that new approval, to see that new card out there.  I know.  Been there/done that/won the t-shirt.  And for whatever illogical reasoning, I'm lusting after a Capital One Quicksilver card.  Must.Resist.Temptation !!!


I agree with you completely about "keeping up with the Jones's." People can't have what you dont have so you must go get it. 

 

BTW, I am watching you now that I know you are lusting over the Cap1 QS.... Don't make me issue out an ERT Alert Smiley Very Happy



LOL, thanks for watching my back ! !  

 

Yeah, I get the urge periodically, but then I open my wallet, look at what I have and ask myself "do you really NEED that Quicksilver"?  Answer is always NO!


Thats a good way to stop yourself. I just look at my AAoA and say NO MORE, lol. 

Valued Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

I feel like im done chasing new cards now. Only one i felt i was missing was the CSP but now that i have it after being denied multiple times for it, its like i have nothing to do now -_- lol

 

Only "prime" pre approval ive received was the FNBO Amex. 

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Senior Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?


jsickz32 wrote:

I feel like im done chasing new cards now. Only one i felt i was missing was the CSP but now that i have it after being denied multiple times for it, its like i have nothing to do now -_- lol

 

Only "prime" pre approval ive received was the FNBO Amex. 


Congrats on getting the CSP!

 

You can always come hang out in the Garden with us Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?


Changingmantra wrote:

For those of you who have moved clearly into the prime world, how long did it take before you: 1. Settled down with the credit cards you have and stopped chasing after credit and 2. Started receiving pre-approval offers for prime cards?


1. I constantly (like many here) say I am not chasing after credit, but if I see a new/desired card with a bonus or a feature I think I can take advantage of, I will app. The ease of online apps makes it difficult to resist at times Smiley Surprised I seem to app for a couple, then wait a few months, etc. Oh well, my AAoA is still around 5 years, so I'm still ok for now.

 

2. I started receiving prime pre-approval offers in 2010-11, but did not bite then because BK was still on file (I had scores around 710, but BK is still a deal-breaker fro many primes). I had some decent cards (AMEX, Nordstrom, Barclays) with BK reporting, but after it dropped (5/2012), started getting them regularly from Citi, Chase, BOA, etc.


CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, UMB Visa, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (4), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 801; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Valued Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?


azguy13 wrote:

jsickz32 wrote:

I feel like im done chasing new cards now. Only one i felt i was missing was the CSP but now that i have it after being denied multiple times for it, its like i have nothing to do now -_- lol

 

Only "prime" pre approval ive received was the FNBO Amex. 


Congrats on getting the CSP!

 

You can always come hang out in the Garden with us Smiley Very Happy


*runs and hides*

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Super Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

I gave up obessing when:

 

My last baddie dropped off

I had a Chase/United card and an Amex

My score got over 760

 

Now I just apply for cards that give me free interest for a big purchase (new air conditioner anyone?) or that give me a big bonus for joining and that will have some utility down the road (Hotel cards).

 

Recent rearrangements of my cards for retirement later on, plus two cards switching banks (thus creating "new" accounts") has dropped my AAA quite low, so now I just sit and ponder.  CK and Amex CS allow me to monitor so I klnow that nothing bad is happening

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Established Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

I finally felt like I was "pretty much there" a month or two ago as far as current cards.  There are a few things still on my radar (Amex Blue, possibly a flat 1.5 or 2% credit card like Fidelity) but I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

 

I remember feeling a huge amount of relief at the beginning of this year when I finally hit over 700 FICO and all my  baddies dropped off my reports.  Debt level had also dropped considerably so it was like a giant weight being taken off my shoulders.  Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?


Brusilov wrote:

I finally felt like I was "pretty much there" a month or two ago as far as current cards.  There are a few things still on my radar (Amex Blue, possibly a flat 1.5 or 2% credit card like Fidelity) but I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

 

I remember feeling a huge amount of relief at the beginning of this year when I finally hit over 700 FICO and all my  baddies dropped off my reports.  Debt level had also dropped considerably so it was like a giant weight being taken off my shoulders.  Smiley Happy


I know how you feel. I paid off all my CC debt and vehicle payments but one this year. My CS jumped up and I am no longer a slave to the banks, lol

DBB
New Member

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

Changingmantra, I graduated in 2012
NPSL$20,000
Member

Re: When Did You Finally Stop Chasing Credit Approval?

I would be perfectly content with 4-5 20k+ CL cards. Obviously that could take awhile to achive (If ever) until then I think I will be satisfied with maybe 2 or 3 more. Still need an AMEX and I would like to get a couple more bank or CU cards.