Epic Contributor

Re: When/How to help teen establish good credit?

CribDuchess wrote:

dadembk wrote:
That's good to know about the Amex and setting a limit for them. I really thought I just don't want him carrying it to school, but away from school I'm ok with. When he starts driving I'll probably just have him carry it all the time.

So really, I can add him now to Amex and maybe another to spread a little diversity to his new profile.

Thanks,
dadembk

You have me curious as to whether you can set a limit on the Amex Zync since it is a charge card rather than a revolver.  I do not know if you can set a limit like you can with Amex's revolvers.  I wonder if anyone here knows whether you can?  That would definitely be a nice perk if you can limit him on the Zync.

Yes you can add him to Zync and set the limit just the same as a credit card on the additional cards... the other nice thing about Amex if he is someone that likes to get online and to log into the banks and will stay on top of it like that... as a cardmember of Amex rather it's yours or someone elses since they do issue different card numbers for each card, he can create a log in and log in... if you have set a limit, he will see only charge he has put on the account and his available credit and can link to his own bank account if he has one and pay it and all that stuff!!

and of course the back dating!!!

I think it's FANTASTIC to add kids now and hopefully teach them... the only thing to keep in mind is that when they turn 18 most likely they will have a credit score vs. someone with no cards being added for them... I turned 18 and had been on my parents card since I was 16 and Citi gave me my very first card on my birthday for $5k!

Amex is VERY likely to give him his own cards at 18 if he is on yours now.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 705 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
88 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor

Re: When/How to help teen establish good credit?

Creditaddict wrote:

CribDuchess wrote:

dadembk wrote:
That's good to know about the Amex and setting a limit for them. I really thought I just don't want him carrying it to school, but away from school I'm ok with. When he starts driving I'll probably just have him carry it all the time.

So really, I can add him now to Amex and maybe another to spread a little diversity to his new profile.

Thanks,
dadembk

You have me curious as to whether you can set a limit on the Amex Zync since it is a charge card rather than a revolver.  I do not know if you can set a limit like you can with Amex's revolvers.  I wonder if anyone here knows whether you can?  That would definitely be a nice perk if you can limit him on the Zync.

Yes you can add him to Zync and set the limit just the same as a credit card on the additional cards... the other nice thing about Amex if he is someone that likes to get online and to log into the banks and will stay on top of it like that... as a cardmember of Amex rather it's yours or someone elses since they do issue different card numbers for each card, he can create a log in and log in... if you have set a limit, he will see only charge he has put on the account and his available credit and can link to his own bank account if he has one and pay it and all that stuff!!

and of course the back dating!!!

I think it's FANTASTIC to add kids now and hopefully teach them... the only thing to keep in mind is that when they turn 18 most likely they will have a credit score vs. someone with no cards being added for them... I turned 18 and had been on my parents card since I was 16 and Citi gave me my very first card on my birthday for $5k!

Amex is VERY likely to give him his own cards at 18 if he is on yours now.

Amex is the best for adding kids as AUs.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.