Frequent Contributor
RSCo

When Paying Off Credit Cards With A Balance Transfer.......

I just did a balance transfer FROM a credit union credit card TO Discover and a couple other credit card companies, and the credit union sends them a check.... Do you think the credit card company that's being paid tracks in their system that it was a check from another credit card company? Or, does it just appear as a regular payment?? I wonder if they count it against you if they know it was a balance transfer type payment.
Citi Hilton Honors: $25,000 -- Amex PRG: $NPSL -- Citi TY Premier World: $9,880 -- NWFCU: $7,500 -- Citi Home Depot: $7,000 -- Citi AAdvantage Platinum Visa Sig: $5,000 -- Visa Black Card: $5,000 -- Discover IT: $5,000 -- AmexTrueEarnings: $5,000 -- Amex Gold Delta: $4,500 -- Pottery Barn: $4,000 -- Ethan AllenGE: $4000 -- Chase Slate: $2,500 -- CapOne Platinum: $2,500 -- CapOne Platinum: $2,500 -- AmazonGE: $2,200 -- Barclays BJs: $1,800 -- WalmartGE: $1,500 -- PenFed LOC: $500
Super Contributor
enharu

Re: When Paying Off Credit Cards With A Balance Transfer.......

I am not too familiar with this, but they probably will have record of it being a balance transfer since check images are nowadays scanned and saved.

Whether they care or not.........I doubt it. They're getting paid....don't see why they would care. Money is money.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Regular Contributor
jakemod1

RSCo wrote:
I just did a balance transfer FROM a credit union credit card TO Discover and a couple other credit card companies, and the credit union sends them a check.... Do you think the credit card company that's being paid tracks in their system that it was a check from another credit card company? Or, does it just appear as a regular payment?? I wonder if they count it against you if they know it was a balance transfer type payment.

Yes, it does show as a "transfer payment" through both parties. IMO, they don't count it against you since it is a valid payment. Your CR and your payment history (making on time payments) with them is what your lenders review.

Discover IT: $7,500 | Chase Freedom: $5,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $7,000 | AMEX BCE: $6,000 | BoA BankAmericard Cash Rewards: $2,500 | Cap1 VentureOne: $5,000 | GECRB Chevron: $3,500 | Macy's Store: $4,200; Macy's AMEX: $6,000 | Best Buy: $500 | Kohl's: $2,000
TU FICO: 746 (myFICO 7/28/13)
EQ FICO: 767 (myFICO 2/28/13)
EX FICO: 742 (myFICO 8/8/13)
App Free as of 8/8/13
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

I don't think they can tell honestly..
They always just show up as "electronic payment" on my statements
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k| West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Frequent Contributor
RSCo

Thanks everyone for the info...  I was just curious at during times when you request a CLI, do they look back to see how many times payments were actually balance transfer payments..   My 61 day CLI request with Amex is coming up and I've used the card a lot since getting it and while I've paid hundreds more than the min payment required each time, I've also just sent a 1,200.00 payment to them in the form of a balance transfer that came from another credit card..

Citi Hilton Honors: $25,000 -- Amex PRG: $NPSL -- Citi TY Premier World: $9,880 -- NWFCU: $7,500 -- Citi Home Depot: $7,000 -- Citi AAdvantage Platinum Visa Sig: $5,000 -- Visa Black Card: $5,000 -- Discover IT: $5,000 -- AmexTrueEarnings: $5,000 -- Amex Gold Delta: $4,500 -- Pottery Barn: $4,000 -- Ethan AllenGE: $4000 -- Chase Slate: $2,500 -- CapOne Platinum: $2,500 -- CapOne Platinum: $2,500 -- AmazonGE: $2,200 -- Barclays BJs: $1,800 -- WalmartGE: $1,500 -- PenFed LOC: $500
Established Contributor
Chris123nTx

It is why they all offer balance transfers. They want you to use them when you can. When they have your money transferred to their card, it reinforces their brand in your mind every month when you pay them. That and some samller percentage of people will do a bt under a 0% offer, but not pay it off before the offer ends, thus making them money. My pop psy opinion of the day.
Frequent Contributor
RSCo

Chris123nTx wrote:
It is why they all offer balance transfers. They want you to use them when you can. When they have your money transferred to their card, it reinforces their brand in your mind every month when you pay them. That and some samller percentage of people will do a bt under a 0% offer, but not pay it off before the offer ends, thus making them money. My pop psy opinion of the day.

So they are banking on the fact that you may not pay it off before the promo period has expired and therefore they start making money on fin charges? 

Blogger
HiLine

RSCo wrote:

Chris123nTx wrote:

So they are banking on the fact that you may not pay it off before the promo period has expired and therefore they start making money on fin charges? 

I would check this thread out: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-common-are-balance-transfers/td-p/1958033/page/2

Lots of great information in there :smileywink:

Super Contributor
enharu

RSCo wrote:

Chris123nTx wrote:

they're also banking on the fact that they extended you goodwill (interest free for xx months), and hope that in return you will appreciate them and use their services more as well. You can view it as some form of "marketing" cost.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Regular Contributor
IrishPM

My experience is that the only thing the CC company offering the balance transfer offer is the "fee" they get for the transfer....US Bank charges a 3% fee, Citi charges about the same....I've used both in the last 6 months. However, I don't use the bank to bank transfer...I write the check out to myself and deposit to my checking account and pay off the CC online. I'm still charged the "fee" but with paying online, it gets posted within 24 hours, typically, and I don't have to wait for a paper check to be sent. I've managed to pay off all of my credit cards in the last 6 months by using the balance transfer offers including paying off the initial balance transfer plus fees.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+