Regular Contributor
grigorexxxcore

When Should I Apply For USAA?

I know that now USAA offers cards for those who have not served in the military, so I would like to lay out my credit life and hope to get insight from everyone, I would really appreciate it, thanks everyone!

I'm 20 and my AAoA is 2 years old.

Never had any missed/late payments.

My inqs are 3 for the year. 20% Utilization rate

My scores 8 months ago were 662. And I know it's improved, so I'm going to guess high 600's/ low 700's?

Also, which USAA card would you guys recommend? The Platinum Mastercard?

Or what other cards would you guys recommend? 

Thank you! :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
DrJim

Re: When Should I Apply For USAA?

[ Edited ]

I can only tell you my story.

You see below what my scores are.  Last summer I applied, and received, an Orchard MC with a $300 CL.  I quickly checked my scores here (I had been repairing) and when I saw what they were immediately applied for Wells-Fargo and AMEX Gold.  I was approved for both, with an $11K CL with WF.  I let the accounts age for six months.

I app'd for USAA after receiving a pre=approval letter (I am a Reservist with 16 years of service including 18 months in Iraq in 06-07).  I was denied.  The reason was because of some old lates that didn't seem to bother either WF or AMEX.  I tried to recon and they wouldn't even consider it.  So, I immediate app'd for Navy FCU who gave me a visa with a $10K CL

I am sure USAA has their reasons.  What they don't have is my business.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K,

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}