cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Target will listen to the consumers?

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: When Target will listen to the consumers?

Frankly, I doubt Target cards are about lending at all.

The whole idea of them issuing debit cards along with credit cards supports this hypothesis IMO.

Target cards are about gathering data on individual shopping patterns and linking every single receipt (to extent it is possible) to a specific household/individual.

If you think nobody is watching you... you might just not look around well enough :-)

I think everyone here knows about Target Pregnancy predictor :-) (If not - read about it here - http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-b... )

How to make people to basically use their unique identity cards for every single purchase? Give them something no other payment method would give - 5% discount.

Now let's think about big ticket purchases. Target is a grocery store. They want to compete with other grocery stores for those buying milk, ice cream and toilet paper, but not with BB or Amazon for those shopping for a flat screen TV. You normally buy a TV once in a couple of years, but you buy milk every week or so. This is their ground that they want to be on, so that's why they don't want larger limits.

And they perfectly know that 5% is good enough for most people to just take any limit as granted and use the card PIFing it many times a statement period or even switching to the debit version.

I might obviously be wrong, but that is how I see this picture of Target world...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 31 of 33
Simply827
Established Contributor

Very good points mikka1. I know for sure Target keeps track of my purchases and sends me mailers and coupons based on it.

I've had a $200 limit RedCard since 2007. I signed up for the Debit Card when it first came out and I use that 95% of the time. While I would like a higher limit on my RedCard, I don't see much incentive to use it, except for a few times per year.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 32 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Interesting lol...
That's a great APR on a co-branded bankcard.
Yeah, my GEs are pif cept 0% offers. Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.