cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When You Apply.. What Income Do You Use?

tag
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Re: When You Apply.. What Income Do You Use?

@webhopper wrote:
I use personal income (w2)
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

Here is a question i just thought about..... What if you’re a waiter or waitress? You work off of tips.. Most major restaurants do pay the waiters and waitresses but literally like 2 dollars an hour since the law says they can.. the rest is in tips... In that case, how could you prove what you really make? Some waiters and waitresses make pretty good money!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 23
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

Here is a question i just thought about..... What if you’re a waiter or waitress? You work off of tips.. Most major restaurants do pay the waiters and waitresses but literally like 2 dollars an hour since the law says they can.. the rest is in tips... In that case, how could you prove what you really make? Some waiters and waitresses make pretty good money!

Cancel that.. that was meant to go in the other thread! Haha Sorry!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Tips fluctuate... in that case I would average the total tip amount for two years (remember tips are.claimed on taxes)... and I would divide by 12... this is how the mortgage underwriters do it. For bonuses; I combine the total bonuses from 2 yrs and devise by 24... again this is how mortgage underwriters do it. When you apply for a mortgage
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 23
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

I would strongly caution against posting specific salary information on this (or any) board. This is one of the numbers various online sites may use to verify your identity. Just FYI.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 14 of 23
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

At most major restaurants the servers declare their cash tips daily on the point of sale system, which it adds to the credit card tips and reports on your paycheck as income. Taxes are then withheld from your paycheck based on your hourly wage and your tips, and then the tips are shown on your W-2 and your tax return.

Many restaurants avoid tip income fraud by taxing on and reporting wages plus "expected" tips based on the amount of the checks closed out.

Message 15 of 23
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

Personal - that being said, if there is a box for "additional income", I will put my Wifes income there.

Unless you live in Wisconsin, I think this is the law now.

The law is that you have to use your personal and not your household income? I guess technically your wifes income is "other" lol but I would tend to think that other means returns from stocks... alimony etc...

What law?    

Part of the card act. You would need to research this. I have read on these boards before that you should only state your income unless there is "other income" box provided.

Open a page for an app and look to see what is said about income...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 16 of 23
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

Personal - that being said, if there is a box for "additional income", I will put my Wifes income there.

The law is that you have to use your personal and not your household income? I guess technically your wifes income is "other" lol but I would tend to think that other means returns from stocks... alimony etc...

What law?    

Part of the card act. You would need to research this. I have read on these boards before that you should only state your income unless there is "other income" box provided.

I just took a look at the Card Act of 2009.    The only related provision is that proof of income or cosign is required for applicants under 21.  I can find no provision that has anything to do with personal or household income.

So each creditor may have a policy, but it is not part of the Card Act.

Message 17 of 23
Imua
Frequent Contributor

when i app'd with BofA and Chase in 2008, both asked for "your gross income" - there was also a box for "household income"

last weekend when i app'd with BofA (for BankAmericard Signature VISA), there was no box asking for household income.

do any app's still have a box for household income?

Message 18 of 23
aplast
Regular Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

At most major restaurants the servers declare their cash tips daily on the point of sale system, which it adds to the credit card tips and reports on your paycheck as income. Taxes are then withheld from your paycheck based on your hourly wage and your tips, and then the tips are shown on your W-2 and your tax return.

Many restaurants avoid tip income fraud by taxing on and reporting wages plus "expected" tips based on the amount of the checks closed out.

this is spot on correct. I own and operate a full service restaurant. Expected tips are usually set to around 10 percent of their CASH tickets. The CC Vouchers are automatically claimed through the POS (point of sale) terminal. Obviously this figure (10%) can change - Im not sure what different restaurant chains select but obviously the more you claim the higher your W2.

And just so I am keeping the thread on topic - I pay myself a salary through work and use that figure only on the application. Makes it easy if any CC company bounces back and asks for paycheck stubs.

Message 19 of 23
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

What law?    

I just took a look at the Card Act of 2009.    The only related provision is that proof of income or cosign is required for applicants under 21.  I can find no provision that has anything to do with personal or household income.

So each creditor may have a policy, but it is not part of the Card Act.

Cool - thanks for clearing this up! I stand corrected.  Smiley Embarassed

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.